Thread: Internet Explorer 8: How to open CHM files

Internet Explorer 8: How to open CHM files

I have some questions regarding Internet Explorer 8 and opening chm files. I have newly heard that Internet Explorer 8 makes security caution notice while I download CHM files from web. As well as while I open downloaded chm files, it does not display any contents. Though our chm files have completely no defect, our customers may think worry regarding opening files while they observe security warning. What can I perform regarding this issue? And whatever you know regarding my issue. Please suggest me.

Re: Internet Explorer 8: How to open CHM files

Microsoft has altered with different service packs for Windows as well as Internet Explorer for handling CHM files.

• Falls open CHM files from Beckhoff only a tree but no pages, please follow the following instructions.
    • Download the desired chm file and save it to a local drive on your PC (not a network drive!), Eg: C: \ drive
    • Open the CHM file locally stored by clicking the Windows Explorer
    • If the CHM file also can not open locally, click the Windows Explorer, right-click the CHM file and select the context menu select Properties from the
    • You will see the following dialogue: Click on the register tab on the Allow button General. This CHM file is now readable on your PC.

Look in the folder options tab "File Types" to search there and the extension CHM. Below you can then click "Open With ...”. Search in the list that appears, the program "Microsoft (R) HTML Help Executable" and select it, uncheck the "always open file with it (or so) set, so that a standard is established then. If you program "Microsoft (R) HTML Help Executable" in the list does not find, click "Browse" and then select the program C: \ Windows \ from hh.exe. This is the file that is responsible for the CHM help files.

In particular, when you try to open the file by double clicking on it, you are notified that the content of the file is potentially harmful and prompt when opening the file itself. The problem is that the only thing to be displayed is the table of contents, but not the content itself! To resolve this problem you can use different solutions. First, when you see the security warning message, you can remove the checkmark box next to "Always ask before opening this type of file."
    If this were not enough, we must change the following key in the Windows registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ HTMLHelp \ 1.x \ ItssRestrictions
    Whose value is to be amended as follows: "MaxAllowedZone" = dword: 00000001
    At this point everything should be back to normal.

You have to locate the file on your hard drive. Then right click on it and in the dropdown menu click on properties .a window with the properties file with multiple tabs, situate on the tab "General" . at the end of all is the "Attributes". If in this section appears probably the security settings file is locked and hence the error to navigate. If it is locked you will see a button that says "Unblock", click on this button and presto, you be able to open and browse the contents of the CHM file if any problem.