Thread: How to choose proper domains?

How to choose proper domains?

I am thinking to buy some domain. But I don't know much about the domains. So I thought to take some advices from you members. Please tell me that how to choose proper domains? My friends told me that while it is true that one can choose any domain that is free, we must keep in mind that sometimes we can remove it. So you think that going for free domain is worth? I am looking for your explanations and suggestions. So providing anything would be helpful for me.

Re: How to choose proper domains?

Domains using trademarked names include, but is allowed, given the legal option to the company that owns the trademark to make a claim and get that domain. Use words in your domain youtube, nintendo, Mac and others is always a risk. So I would like to suggest you to ignore all such words. Apple in an effort to recover their domain, and filed suit with the word recovery domains ipod, iphone and mac. Youtube asks you to desist when you use the youtube domain with a different extension. Wordpress you should not include the word WordPress in your domain, but use the abbreviation wp. I hope that you might have got some help from this post.

I would like to suggest some tips for choosing a brand-like domains:
    1. Do not use the domain name or mark exactly the same but with a different extension. For example, you'd better not buy anything because you nintendo.org fall where they would lose a lawsuit immediately.
    2. Do not use words in other languages. If you say you want a domain that contains the word google, instead of bringing googleadvices.com, using googletips.com. However, if the company is multi-language like google, you may not use the second you do.
    3. Use abbreviations. WordPress (WP), Facebook (fb), Twitter (twit), etc. As fb_friends or twit_links.
    4. Beware of product names. While Apple is the name of the company, they care for the names of each of its products mac, ipod, iphone, etc. In contrast, the word apple to apple mean if you could use in a domain, unless the use for a technology company.

One possible solution is often applied is to buy a second domain, which will be official now. This domain should not contain the mark in question to prevent further complaints. Then do a redirection 301 from the prohibited to the new domain to keep visits. Also if you see you could make a claim can do this, before it passes to avoid problems. If you gave some fear that the domains are registered trademarks, always have the option to create a subdomain with the word you want in your domain without any problem.

Have you ever tried for contest, by which you can win free domains? Just check out on Google, you will get many contest having this contests. Join bloggers presenting your friends, you get your domain and they gain publicity. The following are some requirements for it:
    1. You have a blog, but if you have more than one, will not increase your chances of winning.
    2. Take some time blogging or what is the same as having gone through the last Google dance and have a pagerank of 1. If you know it's not just your pagerank blog is 2 months created.
    3. Post some information about the contest.
    4. Add this blog to your blogroll text or invite other (s) blogger (s) to appear on this blog by leaving a comment on this post.