Thread: Internet Explorer to always play MPG files in Media Player

Internet Explorer to always play MPG files in Media Player

Friends, I am using the Internet Explorer and I am having some problem with that. My problem is that, whenever I try to play some .MPG file on one of my intranet sites with the help of the Internet Explorer then it tries to play that in QuickTime by default. It takes about 5 minutes to load. If I go to UNC path directly for the files and double click on that then it opens it in media player and playing that right away. Normally, devices does not permit the end user to construct any modification to the device, this comprise most IE settings. Please tell me that why this is happening to me and how can I solve this issue. I will be thankful to all the replies.

Re: Internet Explorer to always play MPG files in Media Player

I am not sure that this is going to help you or not but if you want then you can try to uninstall the QuickTime from your computer and then again try to open the file. See if that is able to open that file properly or not. This helps to one of my friends, who was also having the somewhat similar problem and after doing this issue resolved. I hope that this will do the same for you also. Thank you.

According to me, you will have to download the latest codec packages and install that to your computer. I think that there are the outdated or corrupted codec packages in your computer and that is the reason that you are getting the problem like this. I am not able to explain you much here, so you can just click here and this will let you to the page where you will get all the information regarding Codec installation package.

OK, if you find that the program is not able to visible in the list of the programs to open that then you will have to make that program as default with Set Associations. Below are the steps to do that.
    1. First of all you will have to open the Default Programs by clicking Start button and clicking Default Programs.
    2. Click on the Associate a file type otherwise protocol by means of a program.
    3. Now click on file type otherwise protocol which you desire the program to act like the default for.
    4. Click on the Change program.
    5. Click the program which you need to use like the default intended for the file type you chosen or click on arrow adjacent to other Programs to illustrate supplementary programs. (If you do not observe Other Programs otherwise the programs is not listed then click Browse to discover the program you desire to use and then click on Open. If no additional programs are installed which are equipped to open the file type otherwise protocol, your choices will be incomplete.
    6. If you do not observe the program you desire to use as default then click on the arrow adjacent to Other Programs to perceive a list of programs obtainable lying on your computer
    7. Finally click on OK.

I would like to tell you that a default program is program which Windows uses if you open a particular kind of file, for example a music file, an image, otherwise a webpage. For instance, if you have extra web browser installed in your computer, you can select one of them selected as the default browser. You will have to set the Windows Media Player like your default program for opening MPG files. Along with this you will need to download and install plug-ins for Windows Media Player. To do that, you can click on this link and you will get complete instruction for this.