Thread: How to Disable F1 Help key in Internet Explorer

How to Disable F1 Help key in Internet Explorer

Hey I am working on windows XP operating system laptop. Recently I read an article that after clicking F1 button virus i8s downloaded on machine. So I am thinking to disable F1 Help and Support key. So please help me. I would like to disable the F1 help key for Windows XP concerning Internet Explorer after reading an article that clicking F1 regarding Help is able to download a virus. Waiting for any reply.

Re: How to Disable F1 Help key in Internet Explorer

For that you have to press on the "Start" key on your Windows desktop. Then press on "Run," as well as after that you have to give "regedit" into the Run text field. You do not have to type in the quotation marks. The Registry Editor will pop up. Then you have to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\HELPCTR.EXE registry key. After that Double-press on "(Default)." modify the value so that it reads "C:\Windows\svchost.exe" (again, with no the quotation marks).then you have to press "OK”. After that you have to close the Registry Editor. After doing all this things you have to restart your operating system, and you will have effectively disabled the F1 button.

You would like to disable “Help and Support”, you may proceed as well as disable the “Help and Support” service. To disable the service, you have to follow these steps:

1. Select Start plus after that select Control Panel.
    2. Select Performance and Maintenance. (If you do not observe the Performance and Maintenance image, you may be utilizing Classic View. You are able to go to step 3, however you must double-press Administrative Tools.)
    3. Select Administrative Tools.
    4. Then Double-press Services
    5. Then Double-press “Help and Support”
    6. In the Startup type list, you have to choose Disabled
    7. Press Stop, and after that Hit OK.

Let us identify the article from where you got this information that “Help and Support” be able to download virus to your PC. The article from where you read regarding “Help and Support” downloading viruses to PC is completely false. Any link you open from “Help and Support” will send you to Microsoft Websites which are highly safe. Utilizing a completely updated safety program forbids the viruses/malwares to go into the PC.

The vulnerability presents in the way that VBScript cooperates with Windows Help files while utilizing Internet Explorer. If a nasty Web site showed a particularly crafted dialog field as well as a user clicked the F1 key, random code could be performed in the security context of the presently logged-on user. On machines running Windows Server 2003, Internet Explorer improved Security Configuration is enabled by means of default, which helps to alleviate against this problem.