Thread: Configuring Internet Explorer 8 to open Excel file in to Microsoft Excel

Configuring Internet Explorer 8 to open Excel file in to Microsoft Excel

As the title suggest what I am going to ask over here. Well I have recently installed Internet Explorer 8 on my computer. I have to deal with both Microsoft Office and Internet Explorer through email. Whenever I download any attachment which are usually excel files simply opens in to browser itself rather than opening in to Microsoft Excel application. It’s really frustrating for me. Can anyone tell me how I can configure Internet Explorer so that it directly opens the Excel file attachments in to Excel applications? Any suggestion to solve the matter will be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Configuring Internet Explorer 8 to open Excel file in to Microsoft Excel

Well it’s a universal problem as far as Internet Explorer 8 and Microsoft Excel is concerned. I think you should use Fix it to solve the problem. You have to download the same and run Fix it on your computer and perform the steps which is provided by the Fix it wizard. In case if you have downloaded Fix it on the computer which is not having any problem than simply copy the same on your pen drive and run Fix it on the computer on which problem is occurring.

I am providing following steps to fix the problem of yours. For your information following steps won’t help you if you are using Windows NT 4.0.
    • You have to launch My computer and simply go for Tools.
    • In Tools menu you have to click on Folder Options.
    • Now go to File Types tab. From the Registered file types you have to click on the desire office document type and simply click on Advanced.
    • Now into Edit File Type dialog box you have to simply uncheck Browse in same window checkbox and click on Ok button.

Now you should try it the same and let me its working or not.

Well looking at the situation I am suggesting following steps to solve the matter of yours. In this particular solution we are going to deal with Registry of the system and setting BrowserFlags DWORD to the right value for suitable document type. It consists of the following steps.
    • First of all you have to launch Registry editor on your computer.
    • Now you have to find following registry on your computer.
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes
    • Now locate the following subkey
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Excel.Sheet.5
    • Now you have to perform following modification in the registry in all the Microsoft Office Excel subkeys leaving Excel.Sheet.5 subkey
    Code:
    Value name -BrowserFlags
    Data type - REG_DWORD
    Value - 8
    • Code:
      Value name - BrowserFlags
      Data type - REG_DWORD
      Value – 9
    • For Excel.Sheet.5 subkey you have to perform the following modification.
    • Now simply click on Ok button and exit the Registry editor. Now restart your computer and see whether it’s helping or not.

Well I was having the same problem and I have done lots of research on this particular problem and I think I have found the root cause of the problem in this particular situation. In this particular problem your Internet Explorer is configured specially to host the documents of the Microsoft Office which is installed on your computer. As far as I know it is the by default it is configured to host the all the Microsoft office documents.