Thread: Cannot add search providers in Internet Explorer 8

Cannot add search providers in Internet Explorer 8

I in recent times had a McAfee tech alter several of my settings (windows XP service pack 2 and Internet Explorer 8). At this moment I cannot add at all Search Providers by means of the Find More Providers choice which is present in the upper right corner of the display. I do not acquire any error messages. I just do not obtain a result at what time I click Add to Internet Explorer. It is working very well until the tech reorganize somewhat. I had one more McAfee tech attempt to resolve the trouble however he was not available at this moment and he guarantee me that McAfee is not blocking anything. Does anyone know what is the reason that I am having this issue, and if you have any solution please let me know? Your suggestion would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Re: Cannot add search providers in Internet Explorer 8

I will recommend you to try the following instructions to resolve your issue.
    1. Open internet explorer and select Tools from the top menu and click on Internet Options. Now select Advanced Tab and click Restore after that click on Reset and click Apply / OK.
    2. Open internet explorer and select Tools from the top menu and click on Internet Options. Now select Security Tab and click reset all zones to default and click Apply / OK.
    Now close and restart internet explorer and now set the search provider as you wish. For this go to tools and select manage add-ons and click on search providers. Now select the Search provider which you want by clicking the one which you want. After that on lower left check -> Prevent programs from telling alters to my default search provider.

Thank you for your suggestion. As per your suggestion I have tried the settings as you have mentioned. When I click on the bing button to set it as my default search provider nothing happens. I have all this running fine in Internet explorer 7, is there is any bug in internet explorer can anyone tell me how to get rid of this issue. Should I revert back to internet explorer 7.

If you are comfortable by means of the registry there is a much simpler method. The problem which you have run into is cause by shdocvw.dll being registered. To resolve this just follow the below instructions:
    1. Go to start menu and click Run furthermore type Regedit.exe in the box.
    2. After that look for the following location: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT -> TypeLib -> {EAB22AC0-30C1-11CF-A7EB-0000C05BAE0B} -> 1.1 -> 0 -> win32
    3. Now double-click as well as set C:\WINDOWS->system32->ieframe.dll as
    its data
    4. Exit Registry Editor.
    Hope this assists.

Brilliant Solution ! I have been search for hours & this SIMPLE Registry change immediately solved the problem !

Thank you !

I also wanted to thank you. It seems that microsoft doesn't want people to be able to change the search provider. None of the microsoft solutions function and there are many people who have had this problem. Finally the registry change did it.

Thanks again.

Welcome.....

Its no surprise,they have taken ALL USER CUSTOMISABLE THINGS AWAY... The newer Windows OS's are spying/over bloated and no good! (They really want ppl on them FOR A REASON!!!!!!!)