Thread: Setting default program to open files with .tiff and .tif extensions in Internet Explorer 8

Setting default program to open files with .tiff and .tif extensions in Internet Explorer 8

I am facing problem with default program to open files with .tiff and .tif extensions in Internet explorer 8. I have set Photo gallery as my default application to open files with .tif and .tiff extensions in internet Explorer 8. On the other hand each time I attempt to open a file with that extension in Internet explorer 8 Quick Time opens the files. Can anyone tell me how do I get it to make use of the programs I have set to be the default programs? If you have any suggestion to resolve this issue, please let me know. Your suggestion would be appreciated.

Re: Setting default program to open files with .tiff and .tif extensions in Internet Explorer 8

Follow the below instruction to resolve your issue:
    1. Locate the .tiff and .tif image file at start -> My documents -> My pictures. Now right click on a .tiff file icon.
    2. After that click on open with.
    3. If Internet explorer is not listed in the menu then select Choose default program.
    4. Now click on recommended Programs and see if the Internet explorer icon is visible.
    5. Choose the internet explorer icon.As well as click on Always use the select program to open this type of file.
    6. Click Ok to save the settings.

Re: Setting default program to open files with .tiff and .tif extensions in Internet Explorer 8

I was also getting the same trouble when trying to open .tiff file in the internet Explorer 8. I have QuickTime installed on my system. And I found that I am getting this trouble because of QuickTime's MIME -> association settings. I will recommend you to try this open the QuickTime Control Panel -> Browser tab furthermore click the MIME Settings button. Place a tick mark in front of .TIF from QuickTime MIME settings. And after that see whether your trouble is resolved or not.

Thank you for your suggestion but your solution did not function. As per your suggestion I have gone to Quick Time Control Panel as well as altered the MIME settings below the Browser tab earlier than I entered this trouble. I have checked and the settings for the .tiff and .tif extensions are not set to make use of Quick time as the default application even then Quick Time still opens at what time I view the files by those extensions. As a result the trouble still exists.

When I click on a .tiff or else .tif extension file inside windows explorer the file opens appropriately by means of the program I have selected. In this case I used windows photo gallery furthermore it functions very well in windows explorer. I altered the default program to more than a few other choices which are available (counting QuickTime) and they all function very well in Windows Explorer. On the other hand, at what time I want to open a .tif and .tiff extension file inside Internet Explorer 8 it opens via QuickTime in spite of how the settings are set in the control panel.