Thread: New laptop but no internet access

New laptop but no internet access

Hey all, I have brought the new Slim range laptop from MSI X340. Its a nice laptop over all. But i dont know i cant connect to the internet. I tried pinging the router and i get response, but i dont get a respone when i ping any domain on the internet like google, yahoo, etc. I am not able to establish a connection between my laptop and the internet. On the other hand my old desktop works is connected to the same router and it can access the internet without any problem. I suspect the laptop being at problem. What shall i check to make sure i get my laptop connected to the internet. Hope to get a response as soon as possible.

Re: New laptop but no internet access

New computers often come with a suite of security tools which is not a part of Windows but third party applications like McAfee, Norton, etc. Sometimes a compuetr can not even connect to a local network unless proper configuration of the firewall is done. Sometimes you need to uninstall the security suite. Try to connect by ethernet and wireless connectivity wizard if available. Also check the existing settings by going into
    Start > Run > cmd >Press Enter : Which will open the command prompt: Now in command prompt type "ipconfig /all" and press Enter. now check what the ip addresses are. It should get the ip address from the router through DHCP. Check if the router's dhcp is enabled or not.

According to me, the laptop has been configured with the static ip and the dns field has been left empty that is why you are not able to connect to the internet when your laptop is communicating with the router. If dhcp is not enabled on your router then static ip must be configured. Also make sure, you have proper dns configured. If you are not aware of the dns use OpenDNS or google DNS which are free to use by anyone. Try this : 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Open Command prompt window type the following commands one at a time :

Code:
    netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log
    Make sure you run cmd as administrator. Once the command execution finishes, reboot the computer. Check the laptop to see if it is now connected to the internet.