Thread: Connecting TP-Link modem to TP-Link router

Connecting TP-Link modem to TP-Link router

I am using Windows 7. Well I am newbie hence I have decided to discuss with you all so that you can help me to solve the problem of mine. Well I am having TP-Link 8616 adsl modem and TP-Link 1043 Gigabit N wireless router. I have plugged modem, power and telephone connection. I have connected LAN port of router with the WAN port of the modem. I am able to see router however I am unable to find internet. Anyone having any suggestion in situation will be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Connecting TP-Link modem to TP-Link router

Well looking at the situation which you have provided I am providing following solution which you can use to solve the matter.
    1. First of all you have to change the subnet which is being used by the router of yours. You have to configure the IP address of the secondary router in such way so that IP address should be in same as the primary routers IP address in same subnet.
    2. You have to disable DHCP server on your secondary router.
    3. Now connect both the primary and secondary router with connecting LAN port of both. You need not require connecting WAN port.
    4. Using these steps you will bypass the routing function of router over the NAT layer and it makes your router work as switch.
    If you have any query in this particular situation fee free to ask the same. Wish you all the best.

If you are supposed to connect TP Link wired router and Wireless router then you are having following two options to do.
    1. You have to use DHCP while you are using cable router and disable DHCP from the LAN side of the Wireless router. You have to change the IP address of the Wireless router 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.2. Now plug the LAN port of the wired router to the Wireless router so that wireless router can function as wireless access point.
    2. Another option is to changing the subnet of the wireless router. Well you have to change 192.168.1.0/24 to 192.168.2.0 / 24. You have to keep on DHCP. You have to set IP address 192.168.2.1 at the LAN side of wireless router. Now connect the Modem with WAN port of wireless router.

I am providing following steps which you can use and see that it helps you or not.
    1. You have to switch off computer, router and modem.
    2. You have to connect computer with the LAN port of the router. Now connect WAN port of the router with Modem.
    3. Now switch on the modem.
    4. Now you have to connect AC power adapter to the power socket of the router.
    5. Now boot your computer. Check the status of LED of the TP-Link router. If it does not working then see that you have properly connected the devices and also see that CAT5 Ethernet cables are working proper or not.