Thread: IE on WINE causing Windiows Authentication error

IE on WINE causing Windiows Authentication error

Hello friends I would want to use the IE using wine on my linux distribution platform. But the problem is that whenever I use that IE to go to any site it gives me an error saying that it needs Windows Authentication. Where as if I use the same IE on my windows platform I am able to surf any sit successfully. So I would want to know what is causing this problem and what should I do to overcome this, I am giving away my system that has windows on it and that is why I would want to solve this error as quickly as I can.

Re: IE on WINE causing Windiows Authentication error

Dear can I know which IE version are you using with the Wine, If you are using the old IE 6 version then I think that it will certainly not work with the Wine application because of the less functionality that it contains. To be able to use the IE on the Linux platform I would suggest you to use the latest version of the Internet Explorer that is the IE8 or IE 9, which will have the windows specification to be able to run on the Linux operating system.

Hey friend, have you updated the Wine Emulator that you are using on your linux operating system. It can be that the wine might be out of date or even might have lost some files that are required to run the Internet Explorer smoothly on your linux system. So either go for an update of this software or install a new copy of this software again on the system and then see if it helps you to solve your problem while accessing any site.

Thanks for the suggestion friends but I would like to add on to the information that I have provided to you that I also using IE 8 and still I am getting this error of Windows Authentication. I have installed IE 9 and IE 7 also but still no change in the error. Also, the wine has been updated and running smoothly with rest of the application but it is just with this IE that it is causing the problem. So any one who has gone through the same problem help me to know the solution.

I think that the problem is that the AD authentication might be missing from the IE specification and that is why you are facing with this error. This regularly happens when you login to your windows and Internet Explorer just reuses the existing kerberos token. The Internet Explorer will request for username and password of your domain and you will have to add these to the windows credentials cache. If this field have been properly filled then I guess that the IE will get authenticated with the linux and you will not get the error again.