Thread: Reasonable File Size to upload video online

Reasonable File Size to upload video online

My client says that he wants to upload the 4GB of video on their website for which I need to acquire some extra space on the web hosting. Now I know that there is procedure to do so but still I want to know that what is the reasonable size of video that you can upload on your website for streaming. Is there anybody who has any such experience for uploading the videos ?

Re: Reasonable File Size to upload video online

According to me it is just not possible to upload the 4 GB of video on the website as website itself will become very much heavy that needs heavy loaded server to run the page that contains such videos. You must be knowing that the one movie occupies around 1 GB and the video that you are talking about is some around 3 times more then a single movie. Which means that you need to have whole movie on website to stream.

It might be possible to make decrease the size of the video by some mean then upload them on your website but still 4 GB is a huge size of data that would be a bigger only even after decreasing the size. I suggest you not to upload any such large things on your website unless and until your website is for only such things. As it would be degrading your website as well according to different search engines. After all its a bad idea to load such a huge file.

I have one more idea that you can use instead of loading the whole video on your website. I suggest you to convert the video in FLV format and then use the flash player for streaming it online. Even Adobe flash has a built in flv encoder. And I recommend you to check for some free streamers to deliver the content instead of buying a special server. It would be bit cheaper then buying the server. You would be even able to split the files and use youtube for creating the playlist to play on your website.