Thread: Install Firefox 4 Beta on Ubuntu

Install Firefox 4 Beta on Ubuntu

I’m using the Ubuntu Linux operating system in my pc. Mozilla Firefox had launched a new beta version of Firefox browser 4. I had downloaded the file but I can’t able to install it. The file is in tar.bz2 format and asked to unpacked so I had done what they said but now I don’t know how to install it in UBUNTU I had done lots of search on internet but could not get the things can anyone guide me to how to do this in step by step.

Re: Install Firefox 4 Beta on Ubuntu

Hi, according to my knowledge tar.bz2 is an binary file so that’s y you need to extract it to get a appropriate exe file for it. When you are done with extracting then just open nautilus by pressing ctrl + f2 and then type gksudo nautilus code and you will get it and then from there go to the directory where you had extract that binary file and then try to run Firefox. Hope this will going to help you and if it doesn’t work then search for different solution on net.

First download the firefox then use this code in nautilus < speeves@mycomputer:~/Downloads$ bzip2 -d firefox-4.0b1.tar.bz2 - speeves@mycomputer:~/Downloads$ tar xvf firefox-4.0b1.tar - firefox/ firefox/mozilla-xremote-client - firefox/platform.ini - firefox/README.txt - firefox/libsoftokn3.chk - firefox/libnssckbi.so - speeves@mycomputer:~/Downloads$ sudo mv firefox /opt/ - speeves@mycomputer:~/Downloads$ ln -s /opt/firefox/firefox ~/bin/firefox4 - speeves@mycomputer:~/Downloads$ firefox4 > remove hyphen and then enter it.

I’m new to UBUNTU and I want to install the new Firefox I had downloaded it and then type the code in the terminal and I got a error stating that directory is not empty then I had move the file and try again but the subsequent doesn’t work. I had even tried to do this manually by creating the bin and option folder on home but nothing work so now I had erased all the things and try to install it again but still I can’t able to install. Please help.

Even I was having the same problem but now I can easily install it. I recommend you to first remove the error and then try to install the software, its little bit confusing but you will easily get it. You can easily fix your error by creating the bin directory by using the mkdir ~/bin code in home directory after that create a link to the directory where you had saved your extracted file of Mozilla Firefox beta 4 and after that use the path of bin directory for login.

You can even try this if it doesn’t work for you it will really give you lots of help first download the setup for Mozilla firefox4. Now it’s little bit though work to install it for that you need to run little code in UBUNTU. Type this cod in terminal or you can even use a launcher to do this. <sudo apt-add-repository: ubuntu-mozilla-daily/ppa><sudo apt-get update><sudo apt-get install firefox-4.0> this will surely help you to get rid from your problem.