Thread: Ubuntu 10.4: Firefox stops working

Ubuntu 10.4: Firefox stops working

I am truly fresher to this. I am utilizing Ubuntu 10.4 on a novel dell notebook with Firefox 3.6, and accessing internet via a BT Hub. Firefox efforts away for a few of minutes, but later than opening some tabs I discover that I cannot attach to sites. Error messages comprise Server not establish, and Connection has timed out. To the extent that I can tell the wireless connection is in use, definitely I can observe the radiating signal at the top of the page, and the wireless is functioning on other PCs when I have this trouble. Rebooting gets Firefox functioning once more, but soon the trouble re-appears. I think this is not a novel problem but have not established a perfect respond to the trouble.

Re: Ubuntu 10.4: Firefox stops working

I assume you can exclude the Firefox or Ubuntu as being, in itself, a trouble, and focus on things like memory troubles (lots of tabs unlock?) local interference, BT Hub trouble. Just additional thing might be a few update you have applied earlier than the trouble in progress. While it occurs you could consider receiving a terminal window up, seeming at the state of things through ipconfig, iwconfig, and ping sites by name and as well by IP address.

Have you immobilized ipv6 in the about: config page of Firefox. If not enter about: config in the address bar, disregard the warning, investigate for ipv6 in the filter, and make certain it ends true:

Code:
    network.dns.disableIPv6 user set Boolean true
    if it says false at the last part, twice click it to clasp to true, and you may discover Firefox is much quicker. If that does not assist it possibly that your profile is dishonest in somehow, so rename your home folder ~/.Mozilla and regenerate Firefox. Possibly it will currently sprint as it should. You can after that gets your bookmarks back from the old profile file.

I as well have the similar trouble and I have adjusted ipv6 as you recommended and rebooted, and so far so fine. I will attempt for a day and observe how it goes. I did say I am a beginner at Ubuntu, so I admit I do not know how to transform the home folder, and I do not recognize the meaning of Bit Torrent, but I observe I have software loaded called Transmission that refers to Bit Torrent. Something novel to learn each day.

Does the trouble begin some minutes later than starting Firefox, or some minutes later than rebooting? If you stay extended sufficient earlier than opening Firefox does the trouble take place right away. While it is not functioning attempt pinging the website that is failing (few sites will block ping so utilize one you know normally uses, www.google.com is excellent)
    Code:
    ping -c5 www.google.com
    Your utilizing the name currently so that should exhibit if you have a DNS resolution trouble. With any luck you have wget installed, so if the ping efforts attempt
    Code:
    wget http://www.google.com
    if you obtain an index.html file then you have quite much established that it is not a network trouble. If you obtain errors from either command then they will maybe tell you what is incorrect.