Thread: LINUX MINT 10 no sound on SKYPE

LINUX MINT 10 no sound on SKYPE

Well I have the following issue with the Linux Mint 10 that I have recently installed on my system here. I just want to know if there is a way by which I can have the Skype working in the same manner as that it was working with the older version of the LINUX and the other distributions. I have installed the Skype on my system. But I really cannot find this working here. I have seen that the Skype sound is not working at all with the Linux Mint 10. I have done all the things I the manner that I use to do on the older version of the Linux Mint but I have seen that it is not at all working on Linux Mint 10. Can you all there please let me know if there is a way by which I can have the installation of Skype on the Mint and working without any issue there?

Re: LINUX MINT 10 no sound on SKYPE

I am of the opinion that you must have not installed or downloaded the Skype for your new version of the LINUX MINT 10 and hence you might be getting the issue. Well if you want you can make use of the steps below and see if you were missing on any of the steps that may have caused you trouble. On the Linux Mint just open the web browser that you have on your system and then open the web browser there. After that go to the website of Skype. Once you are on the website there you will have to click on the Get Skype option. You will be automatically redirected to the LINUX version of this. Make a click on the Download Now option there. Choose the Linux distribution in the list and then you will get the latest version of Skype for your Linux.

Please make sure that you have all the system requirements specified there. At least 1 Ghz processor or faster and in addition to this see if you are having 256 MB RAM of RAM. Well in systems that we all get we have this criteria always specified but see if you can see the issues with the same there. You have mentioned that you are getting the issue with the sound and if that is the case then see if there is no issue within the speaker and the headphone. It might happen that you have issue with the jack of the headphone and you might be searching for the issue to be solved with some of the software bugs here. Also let me tell you one more thing. Linux Mint is the latest version of the Mint it will be great if you can have the latest version of Skype running on your system.

It seems to me that there must have been something buggy while you were installing the Skype on your system. Please see if you can have the reinstallation of the Skype here again. Also in addition to that it seems to me that it will be simply great if you can have the download also again. Please while making the download make the selection of the LINUX in the Right Hand column. After you get it downloaded you will have to double click on the file and after that wait for the installation of Skype to get complete. Follow the instructions that pop up at your screen and if it asks for the installation of some package then do that and carry on with the installation. In addition to this if you want you can try to make a search for the following packages:
    • Qt 4.2.1+
    • D-Bus 1.0.0
    • libasound2 1.0.12

Now open the Skype application and see if you can make the calls there.

You have mentioned that you are having the issue with the sound; so, have you tried to go with the other part of this thing. I meant to say; have you tried to go with the video part of the application. Is it that you are having the issue with the application not getting lunched? I would like to make the suggestion that it will be nice if you can have the reinstallation of the drivers again and see if that can solve the issue of yours. Please in addition to this also make sure that you see for the onboard sound card enabled as well. It may happen that this may the place where you can find the issue. Try to make the updates for the drivers as well. Let me know if any of the suggestions really went in your way there.

For Skype; the most probable reason for Sound not working on MINT is the wrong driver. It is not because that you might have installed on your system. It is actually because that Pulse must have made the wrong choice. Well see if you can have the issue solved by clicking on the Volume Icon and then choosing the Preference option there. After this you will see a slide bar; make sure that it is slided to the Maximum. Then after this you will also have to check that the Mute Option is not enabled. In the Hardware tab at the bottom, select each driver one by one and then play the sound. Then if you find the perfect match stop there and select that driver so that you can have the things working in a pretty nice way.