Thread: Firefox 3 problem with UTF-8

Firefox 3 problem with UTF-8

My problem is that I made a css web. I set a goal stating that it is UTF-8 encoding. Internet Explorer accepts me and shows me the page well, but not Firefox. If I get into information page in firefox I find that I found the target, text / html; charset = utf-8, but yet I encode the page as ISO. On the other hand if I grate over the page from the hard drive, if the read well from the network why not? Another thing I do not know exactly what to put on style sheets. I have read that we should put at the beginning @ charset "utf-8", but to put it in the style sheet bug me as I found the character of the quotes after 8. The fact is that I have no idea what to do. If I get some help, I would be very grateful.

Re: Firefox 3 problem with UTF-8

Are you referring to problems with accents, etc? Try changing to:
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
    Could it be that your server keeps the data with different encoding? locally because if you do not have these problems and other network ... Also I am having doubt about your file..!! Have you saved your file as UTF-8? Because if you not save it as as UTF-8, you may get same type of error.

You say this happens to upload? Put the address, because it has little basis: file saved in UTF-8 charset header in UTF-8 and your hosting serves the UTF-8 charset, but FF is interpreted as ISO, then something does not fit. What happens is that you've saved as UTF-8 with a program that adds what is called BOM , which are three characters that identify the byte order of the file, which is causing firefox to read it wrong because it does not identify the type coding. Open the file in notepad + and looking at the menu "Format". Save it as "UTF-8 without BOM".

Well, I've spoken to one of my friend about this issue, and he has given me incredible support, and has concluded that the problem is the hosting service that I have hired, and that it is this that I am not admitting utf-8 encoding. Anyways your support was really great, I say if anyone has had the same problem or know that this has been. That and hopefully can solve the problem once. Thanks to everyone for the help, and I will comment how it goes.

There are many hosting companies are not enabled by default character set (charset) UTF-8, so that, even if you encode your files in that game, actually they do not serve, and the visitor's browser comes as Western ISO 8859-1, which is the charset in which they serve by default. Normally you have to ask to enable the character to your space, which is usually not big problem because it is a simple modification in the server configuration. At the time it enabled, the browser receives the files as UTF-8 if they are stored in the system and match the header where you declare the character set. Why, in your case you saw UTF-8 in IE? Because the document was saved with the BOM, so that IE does not understand the encoding that the server sent. In that case, what it does is use the game you have defined by default in case the automatic detection of character fail, in the case of IE is usually UTF-8, while in Firefox is usually ISO- 8859-1. So, when you took off the BOM IE also failed, and then removing it is that understood that it came as ISO file and is what we played, leaving work in the default mode. Hope this is useful to more people, because often a major headache quite common in people using UTF-8 encoding for your web pages.