Thread: Windows 7 Network Authentication username/password for accessing Internet

Windows 7 Network Authentication username/password for accessing Internet

I have installed Windows 7 operating system on my machine and I am facing some strange issue while accessing an internet from this windows machine. Actually when I try to connect with an internet then I am prompted by Windows Security Network Authentication window which asks for a username and password. Now I don't have any idea that why it needs these username and password for getting connected with an internet connection. Please help me, I want to connect this machine with the network as soon as possible.

Re: Windows 7 Network Authentication username/password for accessing Internet

I think your windows firewall might be stopping your router from providing the internet connection, I mean to say it is just a precaution which could be taken by the firewall before getting connected with the network. I suggest you to disable the windows firewall temporarily and then check that it works or not. You have to go to the Control Panel where you can findout the separate icon for Windows Firewall, Double click on it then disable it.

The Network Authentication window that you have got on your machine while accessing an internet connection is the one where you need to type the username and password that you have used to enter while logging on your machine. Please make sure that you have to enter the username and password for admin as if you have logged in as a normal user then I guess it won't be working for you. You have to ask for such rights from your administrator.

By configuring my wireless as usual, I asked myself the question that what is the difference between the so-called open network authentication and the so-called shared? So I looked on the internet (google) and I came across several definitions, but I want to be helped to understand. Here's what I found:

• Open: Use the Open System authentication method.
    • Shared: use the authentication method based on the shared key specified in the Network key and Confirm network key.

Descritpion especially for the open mode that I would like to know more For the group of words "Open System" is a bit barbaric to me. So if you have a definition much more friendly to send me I would be very grateful

If I'm not wrong, "shared" implies that you are aware of the presence of encryption. If your access point is open and you put your pc open during the first connection, open your windows a dialog box asking you for your wep key. if you put your access point to "shared" key does not demand you will be requested, it has you manually configure advanced properties of your connection.