Thread: What is CIFS sign in

What is CIFS sign in

I have just bought a new blu ray player with the network capability and I am able to access my portable network drive. Its great fun to watch the downloaded movies but when I am trying to stream some videos from my blu ray player then it is asking for "cifs sign in". Now I have heard this CIFS for the first time. Can somebody tell me what is it and how do I sign in there?

Re: What is CIFS sign in

The Common Internet File System (CIFS) is the variant of the SMB protocol , that NetBIOS over TCP / IP NBT works. CIFS, Microsoft as an open protocol and declared to the IETF standards pass for. CIFS is intended to supplement and improve it for the FTP protocol and HTTP as a network file system, Internet applications pose.

CIFS runs on TCP / IP and can use resources available for browsing by default DNS or NetBIOS. CIFS is particularly suitable for use in large networks or the Internet, as it built-in mechanisms for the use of different "dialects" features that have different character sets can contain. CIFS provides users across the network location specified disk ranges. If a file is requested, CIFS is assumed that the client the name of the server's share and the location of the file on the server can identify. CIFS is used among others in Wide Area File Services (WAFS) in the centralization of distributed databases or Wide Area Application Services (WAAS).

The Common Internet File System ( CIFS ) is a standard protocol design. This requires that programs and services to request files from remote computers on the Internet. CIFS is based on the client-server programming model and is used primarily in Windows environments. A client program requests a server program (which usually runs on a different computer) to access a file or to send a message to a program running on the server machine. The server receives the request and returns a response. CIFS is an evolution of the Server Message Block protocol (SMB), which is also from Microsoft. The SMB protocol is the current local network to access files and print services widespread. Like the SMB protocol, CIFS runs in a higher layer and uses the TCP / IP protocol of the Internet. CIFS is used as a supplement to the existing Internet application protocols such as File Transfer Protocol (FTP) and Hypertext Transfer Protocol ( HTTP considered). In Linux environments, there are so-called Samba server, the SMB protocol, thus replicating the file from Windows Services for Unix computers make available. In pure Unix environment performed the NFS protocol ( Network File System ) the same services as CIFS.

Open Windows Explorer. Tools> Network link will open a sub-dialog for including network drives. Here you can specify which drive you want to include (eg \ \ serverhome.boku.ac.at \ data home). You also have the option to specify whether to restore each time the computer connects to the drive, and whether you want to use other than the current logon settings. We recommend to choose both. After confirming the Finish button you will be after the credentials (userid and password) required. Then the integrated drive and is available.

Problems with Windows Vista / 7

Because of conversion to NTLMv2 on Windows Vista / 7 does not authenticate. By switching to LM & NTLM authentication can be repaired. For this purpose, the Administrative secpol.msc tool (select Start - Run ... Run>) under Local Policies> Security Options, select Network security: LAN Manager authentication level on LM and NTLM responses (NTLMv2 session security, ...) to switch . Then take off the computer.