Thread: Archiving Gmail (IMAP) within Mail.app

Archiving Gmail (IMAP) within Mail.app

Hello friends, I make use of the Gmail account for the email purpose, and I view my Gmail account with the help of the Internet Message Access protocol which is famously called as the IMAP in the Mail.app. Within Mail.app, what I can't appear to perform is shift items out of my inbox, without removing them. If I move the message from my Inbox to my Gmail account "All Mail" directory, the message creates photocopies inside of "All Mail" because it was previously there to start with. Nevertheless, if I press the delete input key on a message in my Inbox, it removes it together in the Inbox and in "All Mail." Does somebody familiar with the Mail.app equivalent of "Archive" command in Gmail? Help

Re: Archiving Gmail (IMAP) within Mail.app

You want to simply remap your IMAP mailboxes as a result to facilitate your mail that was "deleted" on the computer is archived in Gmail in its place. Simplest method to do that is: inside Mail, choose "All Mail" through the Gmail IMAP programs on the sidebar which is located towards the base. Choose the "Mailbox" from the list of options at the top of the page, after that choose option "Use this mailbox for...", and then select "Trash". at the moment, only whichever file a message away on your system, or just remove it through the Inbox, and it will be archived on Gmail in the place of it being removed, and except we file the message into one of Gmail's folders as an alternative of one on your computer, it will not at all get duplicated on Gmail.

This is just a kind of alternate answer, other than if you don't in fact mind regarding the presence of your messages on Gmail's server, you can generate your own archive on your Mac by following these steps: (1) initially at the base of the Mail sidebar, you need to just have a click on the "Add Mailbox" option push button. Choose "New Mailbox" through the popup list of options. (2) Now the mail will display the messages that inform it where to make this fresh mailbox. In the lately opened dialogue box you ought to view the dropdown menu which is subsequent toward "Location." In this, choose "On My Mac." option. (3). Input a heading for your fresh mailbox, and then click "OK." button. (4) The fresh mailbox will come into view straight away in the sidebar below the category "On My Mac." To make use of it as an archive, right click the new mailbox and choose the third alternative from downward, "Archive Mailbox." (5) You will be provoked to choose a place on your system for Mail to store up your mailbox. locate a position that is well suited you and "Choose." Think this is your fresh Gmail archive. While we have messages we desire to clean out but don't desire to remove, drag them to this folder and they will be stored in .mbox format on your computer.
    Last edited by Sean J; 24-12-2010 at 01:58 AM.

Try to perform these steps: from the Mail menu, select and click on to the Preferences options and in that select the option of Accounts and now click to the Mailbox Behaviors. From the Trash: shift deleted messages to the Trash mailbox and it should not be checked. Store deleted messages on the server and same it should NOT check. There you go! I've been using that exact setting ever since IMAP came out on Gmail with no troubles. BUT, assured things on there you should have to follow, additional things you shouldn't do. So usually you're left with spending ages checking out what does and doesn't work. In added words only go after the information there if somewhat isn't working as it should.

Inside the Mail.app's Accounts Preferences, click on to the Mailbox Behaviors tab, then you should have to check and set these stuff:
    1. Uncheck the option "Store draft messages on the server." Note that I had observed that Gmail.com incorrectly carry on a number of incremental copies of every message and afterward remove them, as a result I immediately disabled this alternative to keep away from the trouble altogether.
    2. Check "Store sent messages on the server" and choose your removal interval – I had located it to one week.
    3. Uncheck "Store junk messages on the server."
    4. Check "Move deleted messages to the Trash mailbox."
    5. Check "Store deleted messages on the server" and choose your deletion interval – I here also set to one week. Then, on the Advanced tab, locate IMAP Path Prefix: IMAP