Thread: Disposition Notification Request or read receipts not included in outlook 2011

Disposition Notification Request or read receipts not included in outlook 2011

Recently I have noticed that there is an important feature is missing in Entourage and also in Outlook of the Mac edition and that is the capability to request for a read receipts. This feature has been familiar in Windows Outlook but we are missing it in Mac outlook. I don’t whether it is really included or not included in Mac 2011 outlook or just I am alone missing this. I know that this is a very useful feature and the Microsoft should consider it in their latest updates. When the first release the Microsoft published that the Outlook 2011 in Mac has the same and useful features that are obtainable for Windows Users. It is a very important task and must be needed. After looking at this I think many users are made their choice. For this consideration I hope that I will get the proper reply.

Re: Disposition Notification Request or read receipts not included in outlook 2011

I think you can able to generate read receipt requests for all kind of mail messages. For this you need to work on some manual by using OS X terminal.To do this
    • Quit Mail and open command line terminal.
    • Type the following text (keep all quote marks as mentionded there)

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.mail UserHeaders '{"Disposition-Notification-To"="your@address";}'
    Each and every one upcoming messages launched with Mail will currently comprise the Disposition-Notification-To header which one asking over for a return receipt. You can turn of this whenever you require. Type the following text in your terminal and it will disable this feature
    Code:
    defaults delete com.apple.mail UserHeaders

Re: Disposition Notification Request or read receipts not included in outlook 2011

Return Receipt (Disposition Notification Request) are an ineffective characteristic which provides users fake declarations, forever a terrible obsession:
    • It doesn't effort when the receiving email client does not contain an routine service that drives a respond. (Not only Entourage/Outlook). Consequently, if you don't obtain a answer you might wrongly imagine it wasn't acknowledged yet.
    • It doesn't inform you that the receiver examine the memo anyhow, merely that his email client established it. As a result when you find the reply you may perhaps mistakenly consider that he comprehend it whilst he hasn't actually.

Due to some draw back in this feature and some bad things the Developer did not add this feature in outlook 2011. They thought that it won’t be necessary anymore when it is not helping much. But if you are really intended to make use of read receipt then I think you should switch back to the earlier or previous version of outlook or entourage. In internet it may not possible but I think in intranet it might be somewhat possible, you should check some reference for this.

I am business profession and recently I got new MacbookPro . I bought this to switch from an HP Windows 7 Ultimate to the Mac OS X side. Both are cool, but right now I am familiar with Windows 7 and so that I decided to learn a new platform. I was using Office Business 2010 on the PC and to date two features which seem to be very useful and multipurpose. I now enclose to maintain the additional laptop useful very soon to utilize these features. To speak i am distress and dissatisfied is an irony.
    1. Read/Return/Delivery Receipts
    2. Rules for emails Received/Sent

I can't think that this preference is as well omitted from Outlook 2011. This alternative is a vast time hoarder and tolerates for a prearranged inbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Galbraith View Post
    I think you can able to generate read receipt requests for all kind of mail messages. For this you need to work on some manual by using OS X terminal.To do this
    • Quit Mail and open command line terminal.
    • Type the following text (keep all quote marks as mentionded there)

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.mail UserHeaders '{"Disposition-Notification-To"="your@address";}'
    Each and every one upcoming messages launched with Mail will currently comprise the Disposition-Notification-To header which one asking over for a return receipt. You can turn of this whenever you require. Type the following text in your terminal and it will disable this feature
    Code:
    defaults delete com.apple.mail UserHeaders
    Galbraith, When I follow you to the letter it says that it cannot 'parse'. Any idea what is wrong? Also, will this work for Outlook on Mac, and what would the string need to be? Thx