Thread: Changing IP address in windows vista

Changing IP address in windows vista

I am having Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop with windows vista home premium operating system installed on it. I have taken an internet connection for playing online games; downloading songs and movies, chatting etc. For protecting the system from virus, malware, adware etc I am having antivirus software with the latest update. I wanted to know if I can change the IP address. If yes, then give me the steps to change the IP address.

Re: Changing IP address in windows vista

You can make use of “flushdns” command in windows vista to change the IP address. To use “flushdns” command you need to follow the below given steps:
    1. Go to start/run, in the run window type “cmd” and press enter key.
    2. Type” ipconfig /flushdns” and press enter.
    3. Type “ipconfig /release” and press enter.
    4. Type “ipconfig /renew” and press enter.

This will release your old IP address and you will be assigned new IP address.

Thanks for providing me the solution. I have carried out the above given method carefully and my IP address was changed. Well sometimes it gives me an error message of “time out”. I want a solution through which I can change the internet timeout options do that I will not be getting the timeout message while browsing. Also give me the steps so that I can restart the computer from a lost connection.

While browsing across the internet the connection may be lost. To recover the computer from the lost connection will also resets the IP address so with the help of it you can access the Internet again. Go to start button on the desktop, type “msconfig” in the search box and press the enter key. Now you need to click on “Selective Startup” from the general tab. Click on eth checkbox next to clear the "Load Startup Items" in the selective startup window. After clicking on the "Load Startup Items" checkbox click on the services tab. Click and hide all the Microsoft services checkbox. Click on ok button and restart the system. The computer system will be having new IP address as it restarts.

IP address is a unique number that is assigned to the system within the network. You can use the below steps to change the IP address of your system:
    • Go to start and select run window.
    • In the run window type “cmd” and press the enter key.
    • In the command prompt type "ipconfig/release" command and press the enter key.
    • After typing the above command now you need to renew your IP address by the following command "ipconfig/renew" so that you can have the new IP address.
    • Now you are having the new IP address.

If you are getting the internet connection timeout then you can easily resolve it by following the steps given below:
    • Go to start and select window.
    • In the run window type”regedit” command and press the enter key.
    • The windows registry window will open. In the registry window browse to the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\InternetSettings" location.
    • Go to the edit menu, select new and then click on “DWord Value”.
    • You will require to type the”KeepAliveTimeout” in the indicated textbox and press the enter key.
    • Select edit menu again and select modify from it.
    • Now you can choose the timeout value and convert it into milliseconds.
    • After choosing the timeout value you need to restart the system.