Thread: Ubuntu 10.10: wireless card is not recognized

Ubuntu 10.10: wireless card is not recognized

Recently upgrade my Dell Inspiron laptop into ubuntu 10.10 versions, where as I am having the second partition on the hard drive, where I installed windows XP service pack 1. The machine I used basically for the internet access. After upgrade the machine along with that I also insert a new wireless card. The problem is after insert the new wireless card; my machine is not recognizing the wireless card. The problem starts while I access the internet in my machine is it starts form slow connectivity. I am using the Rosewill RNX-G300E IEEE 802.11b/g PCI Wireless Card, the Network interface card is not working fine but this one only not recognize the wireless card. How to resolve the issue, any suggestion on this?

Re: Ubuntu 10.10: wireless card is not recognized

I had the similar issue, one day after encounter the problem I am consult with a technician, and he suggest me that first of all remove the wireless card, the cause is for the misplacement of card. And I remove the card from board and then reboot the machine, after a few while reinsert the card into the appropriate place and then reconfigure the card with the network interface card. Along with that make sure that the network interface card is works fine with the other wireless card, by insert any other card.

Reboot the machine and start pressing DEL from the keyboard, it will enter you inside the BIOS setting window. Make sure that the wires card is not disabling in the BIOS. In some of the laptop the onboard wireless card is by default disable in the BIOS, this is simply the motherboard bug and for this cause these type of problem is occurs. You can make sure this by the live CD of ubuntu. Try once to reinstall the wireless software and for this you need to go into program folder and from there locate the software for wireless card, uninstall that one and then remove all the files of this software which you installed earlier, physically from the machine. I had the similar after that I did this in my windows 7 compatible machine, after insert the new wireless card in my machine, I encounter the similar issue. So I recommend you o do the same process this will surely resolve the issue. After install second time if needed then reconfigure the card with the motherboard. This type of problem is encountered for the onboard, either for not properly installed the software or for not properly configure with the wireless driver.

Are you also not locating the wireless card in the windows platform? If yes then restore the machine in the particular date and time where you did not encounter the problem. Log o your machine in the windows environment and look for the wireless card whether it is showing or not. If not showing then simply restore the machine into last few days back. You will locate this option from the Accessories under the start menu> All programs. Under the system toll select the system restore option and begin the process by permit the windows environment to do the operation. It will might take some time; wait till the complete of process. It will require the reboot. Now in the date where you restore the machine if the driver and the wireless card is installed then ok, reconfigure them or it was not installed in that date then re-install them from the driver disk or if you store the installer file in some of the location of your disk. By this I hope you will now able to access the wireless service in your machine. Start the machine in ubuntu platform and try to connect wireless network.

I had the similar issue in my windows vista platform machine and fix this by simple process by a simple process, though you are also having one partition with windows version, so I would like to suggest you to log in the machine into the windows version, reboot the machine in “safe mode with networking” option and there look for the wireless option. If this shown as active then make sure that the wireless card is working fine, there is no issue with the wireless card, something else. After that remove the battery from machine, though this is quite dangerous, but the machine can shut one again by pulling the power outside. Now go to the BIOS setting window and reset all the default setting, now reboot the machine first in normal window mode and the wireless will works. After that try to open the wireless in ubuntu, I hope this will also works there.

Relevant issue in my windows vista compatible HP Compaq laptop. I am a MBA student and daily need to carry the laptop in my college, for mainly connect the machine with the college local server and from there fetch data along connect with the internet for collecting notes regarding my study. I installed the Broadcom wireless driver in my machine. it was working fine till the last date, but suddenly from yesterday, the wireless don’t not works in the machine, after I switch on the wireless button in my laptop the machine is not able to detect the wireless network, I thought the problem is with the wireless network and simply reboot the machine once. But after that I checked almost all the machines, where they can able to access the network, where as only I can’t. after coming back home and reinstall the wireless driver and on the next day I again try to connect the wireless but this time it flasher a error message in the screen, the wireless card is not detecting by the network interface, I am not a technical person, so I don’t have any idea on this. Is there any other having similar issue, any solution for this?