Thread: How can I set multiple home pages in Safari?

How can I set multiple home pages in Safari?

I have a desktop system with a modern configuration . I had two web browsers one is mozilla firefox and the other one is safari 5 of Apple. I work in a commercial firm and do not have much time to navigate the web pages so I have set Google as my home page. But there is some issue with it, even my wife uses the same web browser, she does not have much knowledge about computer systems and accessing the net. She just accesses a few social networking and cooking related websites. So she wants the facebook website to set as a home page in the browser. So what I am asking is that is it possible that we create separate icons of safari and on have the home pages as desired on our respective safari icons or shortcut?

Re: How can I set multiple home pages in Safari?

If you do not have much knowledge about the operating systems then I think rather than creating separate icons you can create different user accounts.
    This below description describes how to create and configure user accounts using the new User Accounts tool.
    Note: This tool is not available on a computer that is a member of a Domain.
    You can create separate accounts for each person that will be using the computer. This allows each user to have their own document folders and settings such as the wallpaper, Start menu, visual style, and so forth. You can create and configure user accounts with the User Accounts tool in Control Panel.To open the User Accounts tool, open Control Panel from the Start menu, and then double click User Accounts.
    To Create a New User Account :
    • Click Create a new account in the Pick a task list box.
    • Type the name that you want to use for the account, and then click Next.
    • Select the desired account type, and then click Create Account.

I really appreciate giving some part of your valuable time and thank you for replying my question. But I am not thinking of opening a separate account right now , because I think it will make the things more complicated and I do not think my wife will be willing to all those things because she will find it difficult even if it is not that much tedious. I want two separate icons on my desktop screen or you can say two shortcuts for the safari web browser. On double clicking on first icon the Google page should open and Facebook login home page should open on clicking on the second. And I think such changes can be made in Safari but do not know how?

I think there are a few kludge that will meet your requirement. A kludge pronounced as 'kloodz' provides a temporary or clumsy solution you cannot always rely on it. But I think you should try the effective possible steps than trying a kludge first. Change the safari setting such that every time you click on the icon it will launch a new window with the list of top sites, You can pin those top sites as 'his' home page and her 'home' page. Once you click the icon of the browser you can opt the 'his' home page where you set your home page and your wife can select 'her' home page where she has set her own desired home page.

Hi

Yes you can ofcourse create a separate icon for facebook. You just need to open facebook website and then click on file menu at the top and then select the option send>shortcut to desktop. You will find a icon in the name of facebook created. When ever you want to open facebook click on that created icon you will be able to.

Thanks

I do not think why switching the users seems much difficult task to you. I think it is much more simpler and effective than the above mentioned solutions. Multiple user can use different settings for the application according to their need without affecting the settings of other user.If you are using an OSX it has much more simpler way that enables to switch the user easily because in OSX you can do that without shutting down or restarting the pc. If you are using business applications and operate it in your separate account then no when can make any changes which you have set. You can make a different user under your wife's name and teach her how to log in and log out from her account.

I had same issue you are facing right now. Here you have your wife with you and in my case I share the web browser with my younger brother with me. First he used to access the net in Firefox but I do not why , he too started using Safari. I did not mind his selection but his annoying habits. He used to change the home page every time he logged in. I am not sure though but I think it we can make two separate directories and install the safari in each. I can access through one directry and my brother will access through his. But I am not completely sure about this solution whether it works or not.