Thread: Anonymous surfing in linux

Anonymous surfing in linux

I have a cousin who is using a tool which allows him to surf internet without the concerned of being detected. He has been using Windows operating system on his computer. But I have Linux on my computer and so I would like to know if it is also possible surf internet in the same manner. Is there any tool for Linux with which you can surf internet anonymously? If you know anything about such tool then please advice me, I would be grateful to you.

Re: Anonymous surfing in linux

Java Anon Proxy, also known as JAP or JonDonym, is a proxy system which makes it possible to surf the internet anonymously and unobservably. Instead of connecting directly to a webserver, users take a detour, connecting with encryption through several intermediaries, so-called Mixes. JAP uses a predetermined sequence for the mixes called a Mix Cascade. It allows the user to choose between different mix cascades. The speed and availability of the service varies on the operators of the Mixes in the cascades.

Anonymous surfing sites actually bypassed work filters to fetch their website’s data and then presents it back to you with the help of free anonymizer. These free sites consists of some software which are placed on their server. They helps you to circumvent filters which have been created by network administrators, but they even protect your online privacy by masking your IP Address. This is how you are allowed to surf the web without being detected. The biggest drawback of using such sites is that your computer is left open to all kinds of potential threats and your private data is also exposed to publicly.

It is well known that anyone who visits internet, his moves are being tracked by someone. Its actually because the data packets which are traveling over the internet has all the information about the sender and the receiver and so it can be read by anyone if it reaches to him. Although there have been a lot of methods used worldwide to prevent this, using encryption method, but still there are lots of ways to overcome this. So I don't prefer to go for some online tool or a standalone one to go anonymous online.

You can surf anonymously with the help of TorK. TorK is based on The Onion Router (Tor) network that provides you a better and secure way of browsing. TorK is a powerful anonymity manager for the KDE Desktop on Linux and Unix systems. TorK features includes:
    • Browse anonymously on Konqueror/Firefox/Opera.
    • Send anonymous email via the MixMinion network.
    • Use Internet Messaging and IRC anonymously.
    • Create and manage hidden services.
    • View the Tor network.
    • Monitor your anonymous traffic.
    • Exclude and Include servers and countries from your use of the Tor network.
    • One-click server activation.
    • Build circuits and streams manually or automatically.
    • Filter servers by country, status and free-text.

Which browser you are using? Mozilla Firefox have some security settings which you can access from the Preferences tab. If that doesn't help than I would suggest you to install some privacy and security extensions. Once you install it and restart your browser, you will notice some significant changes in your browser improving your surfing. However, if you want to prevent your data from getting displayed to others, I would suggest you to disable JavaScript.