Thread: Best Free Software to securely send large files over the Net

Best Free Software to securely send large files over the Net

I would like to know if there is any software which can help me to send large files safely with the help of the internet. I will prefer to have the software freely available on internet. Until now I have tried Yahoo messenger, Skype, and MSN messenger but nothing seems reliable. None of them completed the process of sending the file. So do you have any suggestions or applications which I can use to send my large files over the net?

Re: Best Free Software to securely send large files over the Net

The idea way of sending large files over net is using FTP. An FTP server is relatively simple tool which works great for sharing files over the net. It also incurs less cost than compared to others out there. To configure an FTP server, you first have to start the service on your computer. For this go to Add/Remove Programs and then click on Add/Remove Windows Components. Look for Internet Information Services (IIS), select it, check out the details and finally choose File Transfer Protocol (FTP) Service. Click on OK button and then on Next button. You may be asked for Windows CD for this, but once the process is completed your computer is ready for FTP connection. Reboot your computer at the end to save the changes.

I don't think FTP is the best solution for sending large files over the internet. It is not at all secure network to send the files. There is also a similar setup, known as SFTP, which is considered as more safer than FTP but there are a lot of problems associated with it too. You have to explain things to its users and also create new users on it to access it. Moreover, you have to also manage, which includes cleaning of an old file, your server otherwise you may go out of hard disk space and ultimately unable to send any files henceforth.

Their is a website, which you can consider as a tool, that helps you to send large files to your recipient. SendToPerson allows you, your team and/or your clients to send large files securely and easily. The mechanism over here is very simple: you upload your files, which you want to send, with the help of your browser to their site. SendToPerson with generate a link from where your recipient can download this file. You recipient has to just click on the link to get the file. Moreover, you don't have to delete the file over here because each file has its own expiry time and so you don't have to get involved to manage the server. The file is automatically removed from the server once it has reached the timeout.

Pando brings the heavy-lifting power of P2P to the long neglected email attachment so you can send and receive large files and folders, up to 1GB, with your existing email address. However, you can only use Pando if you or your recipient is running Windows or Mac. Moreover, you could not handle or track the files sent with the help of Pando. The best part of it is that you can even password protect your files which you are sending through Pando. However, the files can only be downloaded within 14 days of time period. After that those files get deleted automatically. You could not even change this time because this is set by default by the developer of it and is left unchanged.

click2copy - you don't even need to install something on your pc. It uses all the power of your connection. I have tested it in comparison with skype and ftp - it is the best! Even if your IP changes in the middle of the transmission - it continues to send. Give it a try