Thread: Cannot download applications in Ubuntu

Cannot download applications in Ubuntu

I have just downloaded UBUNTU 10.04 and installed it recently . The installation was successful, however I am not able to download anything while I use ubuntu. Prior to this I was using Windows xp O/s. No such problem occurred in that O/s. This was my second attempt of installation, because the first attempt of installed had failed. Whenever I start download any zip file or application, it stops at the archive and stops later on. Can anybody help me what has gone wrong?

Re: Cannot download applications in Ubuntu

I cannot say about the zip files but the applications you download have .exe files. As far as my O/s knowledge is concerned you cannot run .exe files in Ubuntu. I would ask you to check if the same problem persists while you use any other operating system. Anyways I would ask you to open the console of Ubuntu. You can do it pressing the control, Alt and F1 key altogether.In the console type # sudo apt-get purge zipinfo ; sudo apt-get install zipinfo command. There you will be asked to enter the login id and password. After entering the credentials reboot the system and try the download again. I think this will definitely fix your issue.

You said this is your second attempt of installing the O/S. Prior to this the installation had failed. You did not mention what error message had occurred and when you had installed it for the first time, neither you have specified your system's current configuration. So it will be more better if you elaborate in detail your system's configuration, error occurred while you had installed it before this and what message pops up when you download any application.Try to download any other file format document say mp3 and see whether it works. I am asking you all this because the more you elaborate your problem , the sooner it will increase the probability of success. I think your current system's configuration is not compatible with the O/s .

I think you are correct, I should have explained everything in detail. I have got a desktop system with 160 GB of hard disk, 512 GB of RAM , Intel Chipset Motherboard and Pentium D processor. The installation had failed in between I do not remember the error code because it was too lengthy and complicated. i cannot say about any error message but whenever I try to download any applications, it halts in between and pops a message stating "End-of-central-directory signature not found" . As you said I tried to download a song that has mp3 format but nothing happened. If my system is not compatible then what up gradation should I do so that I can produce desired results.

Well I suspect that tour hard drive has gone faulty and the partition in which the O/s is installed is corrupted. I think you should try to and see if you can download the repositories. If you are unable to download those repositories then it might be a network problem. First of all check the network connections and make sure the address in the preference list is accurate. But I think whole configuration change will be too expensive for a mere download issue, buy a new hard drive instead and reinstall the O/s again. But this time I think you should prefer the windows operating system.

I do not know why you people going for the hardware changes for such a small issue. You had mentioned that you are facing some problems in zip files. You might be using zip info as at is apart of unzip package , you are not supposed to do anything with these source lists. And let me inform you that these applications you are trying to run are windows platform applications, so you cannot run them directly in other. To run widows applications in a Unix like O/s such as Linux or Ubuntu, you will have to install a program called Wine. This utility acts as a bridge between windows applications and Ubuntu.