Thread: Macbook OS X 10.6.4 Self Assigned IP Address

Macbook OS X 10.6.4 Self Assigned IP Address

I have had my Macbook for almost a year and have also had the same router and wireless internet connection for the same amount of time. I am running Mac OS X version 10.6.4. My ISP is charter communications and last night my internet connection cut out. This morning, we restarted the router and the other 2 laptops and the desktop that we have (all HP computers) connected to the wireless network fine. However, my macbook will connect to the network but when I open Safari, it says that I am not connected to the internet. When I open the network preferences it says that my AirPort is on but that I have a self assigned IP address (starting with 169.) and will not be able to connect to the internet.

I have tried restarting the router and my mac and that has not worked. I tried adjusting my firewall settings with no luck. I have the TCP/IP set to Using DHCP but the IP address will not change when I click Renew DHCP Lease. I can connect to my neighbors wireless network just fine but I'd rather not do that. I have googled this and everyone seems to have the problem with a recently purchased Mac that they can't get connected for the first time. I don't understand why I have been able to connect for almost a year and now all of a sudden I can't.

If someone could help me that would be great! Thanks in advance.

Re: Macbook OS X 10.6.4 Self Assigned IP Address

You can try out a manual setup here. It is due to loss of connection. One thing you must also check is that your internet connection is live and it is functioning well. For your system think open the Airport Utility located in Application Folder.
    Mac OS X. Choose your device and choose Manual setup. Type the base station password if you want. Here you are trying to create a new channel. You can try to run a update for the Airport utility.