Thread: Computer turns off after 1-2 minutes

Computer turns off after 1-2 minutes

I assembled my own computer about 2 years ago. Everything was okay until last week. The cups fan started making a ticking sound. At the same time the computer started turning off after 1-2 minutes after being on. I can log onto my account and after about 20 seconds the computer shuts down.The strange thing is that it wouldn't just power off automatically. Instead it would shut off through the operating system

Re: Computer turns off after 1-2 minutes

According to me my first guess would be the CPU cooling. Please be sure that the heat sink is protected and nothing is nosy with the fan action. It's likely the fan went bad and isn't pushing the air through. If you have boxed CPU, then try using the store cooler after removing the old one (system off) and then clean off the thermal paste or pad with isopropyl alcohol. The store cooler might not cool as well, but that would be the way I'd go about it.

I also faced the same problem but trying the same solution stated below I could resolve the problem. You can remove the processor and then clean it and re-install with quality thermal paste in the proper manner. An Intel CPU will mechanically shut down to put off any damage to the CPU, if it encounters problems or overheating.

I think that your CPU is overheating or your motherboard is dying. Go into your BIOS setup and be seated down at the health\temp screen and watch your CPU and case temperatures. Let it be seated for a long time (while watching it) and see how high the temperature goes. If it doesn’t appear to be doing anything out of the common load windows and let it do its thing and wait for it to turn off. If they are still normal, you're most likely looking at a bad motherboard

The temperature [CPU] reaches 100 degrees and shuts down!
    What next?
    I've swapped the RAM's and cleaned for Dust inside...