Thread: ActiveSync support for Live Mail Hotmail

ActiveSync support for Live Mail Hotmail

We have been using Outlook 2003 as our email client for a long time in our office. Now we have decided to switch to Windows Live Mail or hotmail if you might not be knowing about it. Sometimes it happens when I am unable to use my computer to check mails and so I also use my mobile phone to view all those mails. But I have been using ActiveSync to sync mails to my mobile. So I would like to ask if Windows Live Mail supports ActiveSync? Will I have to do any settings or need to install something to get it work?

Re: ActiveSync support for Live Mail Hotmail

It has already been confirmed by Microsoft that Hotmail and Windows Live Mail supports Exchange Active Sync. So you can definitely access your email, calendar and contacts on your mobile phone. I have personally configured Windows Live Mail account on my iphone. If you want then here is how I did it. Went to “Settings” and then to “Mail, Contact, Calendar”. Then clicked on “Add Account” and then “Microsoft Exchange”. You will be asked to enter the email address. Provide it. You will also be asked to enter domain name, user name and password. Provide all this information properly. You will also have to enter the description. Click on “Next” and Enter. In the server name, enter m.hotmail.com. Again click on "Next", turn the service ON by clicking ON button and finally save the settings by clicking "Save".

But I am talking about Activesync on mobile. I know that this is a server side application that hotmail would need to support and also that it is a data synchronization method developed by Microsoft. I was not talking about the Exchange Server, but my topic is related to the Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync protocol. If Microsoft provides sync feature for Windows Live Hotmail, then a lot of phone users will be able to sync their mail when on the move.

Microsoft has recently introduced for his Windows Live users the support for ActiveSync. However you can only synchronize your Windows Live Hotmail contacts with your mobile device according to me. I don't think if it is possible to do with calendar but you can confirm this with others also. You can even contact Windows Mobile Device Support on 1-800-936-5700 from Mon to Fri between 6.00am PST and 6.00 pm PST. I think that Microsoft Mobile Support Group can best provide the help to you.

You can use Windows Live Mail and can even sync your e-mails directly to your smartphones as long as your mobile operating system supports Microsoft Exchange. It has already been enabled in the mail options for all Windows Live users by default. If this isn't available on your computer then you have to update your Windows Live Mail. You should also have the necessary settings on your iOS to use this feature on your mobile. The settings are as follows:

Email: yourmail@live.com or yourmail@hotmail.com
    Server Address: m.hotmail.com
    SSL: Enabled
    Username: yourmail@live.com
    Password: password
    Domain: (Leave it Blank)