Thread: Skype loses the connection

Skype loses the connection

I have started getting a strange problem with Skype which loses the connection more often. I am unable to get the internet thereafter and it says there is no internet connection. But I can still surf the web and so there is nothing like I don't have internet connection. I am on Toshiba Satellite L300 laptop and the router is Linksys WRT160N. The problem started about 3 weeks ago. I too have 2 other machines but they don't have this problem. I have a 1 Mbps line from MTNL but I don't think that is insufficient to go online with Skype. I have the signal strength between 70 and 80% and so I don't think it should be creating the problem. I even tried to update the driver for the network card but had no improvement.

Re: Skype loses the connection

Since you are on wireless network, you may have internet fall out without reporting to you in your browser. To check this you can use ping command and make sure if you have internet connection and if there isn't any drop out with the connection. To use ping command, go to command prompt and type "ping " and then the name of any site. It will tell you if you have any drop out in internet connection. You can even check if you are having enough internet speed from your ISP by using some online tool.

I tried ping option with google.com. My router ip is 10.0.0.138. Have unfortunately no possibility to use the cable. But the strange thing is that this has worked smoothly on this machine for almost 2 years. I also have 2 other computers which works fine. One with Windows xp and one with Windows 7 installed. The reason why I would like to use skype on the laptop is that it is on all the day. Now it also mentioned that the 2 (desktop) machines have a separate network card with external antenna and I get a stronger signal from them. But as I said the laptop worked fine before. Sounds a little strange about the network card on the laptop that suddenly become weaker! I have also tried to download large files with jDownloader and will never breach the network there! Went into the router now and looked at the log there. It has certainly to deal with VoIP but do not know what that means.

The ping command measures the delay from your PC to the points along the way. Since your router IP address is 10.0.0.138, it should measure 1ms or less with cable and 1-10ms with wireless networks. Have you interpreted the error messages, having some delays (TTL exeeded) or the failure of the authentication (401). It could be a problem with the noise that makes the signal does not arrive quickly and safely enough ahead. You can download inSSIDer which is a program that analyzes the wireless networks nearby. See if you can find a free site that you can send on. Could be a strong signal nearby that is spoiling it for you.

I have 3 devices that share this network. One on the 2nd floor, myself with the laptop sitting in a ground floor and one that sits next door about 30 feet away. We struggled a bit with the signals to the neighboring house and had to buy 2 pcs. An access point with bridge functions. After that we had good neighbor signals and power. Otherwise we have no other network in the vicinity. I'm living in a floor and can choose whether I want to hook up d-link box or linksys router. Get about 65-70% signal strength from the linksys and speed around 68-78% on d-link. Linksys have encrypted and d-link is open. Have heard that it is to change the channel on the router but have no idea how I do it and do not know if that helps. The router and the one d.link device stands in 2 floors