Thread: After updating to Chrome 18, startup is very slow

After updating to Chrome 18, startup is very slow

My system is running on windows 7 and I have updated the chrome browser to 18.0.1025.151 and since then it is taking more time to load web pages. It is taking about 4 to 5 seconds, the only difference that I have found after updating to 18 is that it starts faster. I was not having any such issue previously it all started after updating. Is there a fix for this or I should switch back to the older version? Any suggestion?

Re: After updating to Chrome 18, startup is very slow

In that case you can try out some basic trouble shooting and see if it is helping you out or not.
    • First try clearing cache, cookies, and downloads.
    • If that does not help then you can go to Wrench>settings>under the hood> network>change proxy settings>LAN settings and uncheck "automatically detect settings" option.
    • If it still does not help then you can try out uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome.
    • If at all you don’t have any luck with these trouble shooting then you can update the Chrome to the latest, I mean to 19 and so.

If you face the same issue with the latest version of it as well then you can switch back to the older version that you were using. I am quite sure that one of these troubleshooting methods will definitely help you out. Just try them out and let me know the response you get for further help.

To help you in this case I will like to know the below things:
    Have you tried updating to the latest version of Chrome?? If you are not sure
    1. about the same then type chrome://version/ in address bar of chrome and paste the details here.
    2. Which are the extensions that you are using? If you are not aware of the same then type chrome://chrome/extensions/ in address bar of chrome and mention the extensions.
    3. Did clearing cache, cookies, and downloads made any difference in your case??

Just check out these things and let me know so that I can have a better idea of the issue that you are facing.

Clearing cache, cookies, and downloads did not made any difference in my case. I had tried uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome as well and still did not have any luck yet. Currently I have installed the latest version of the chrome and unfortunately I am having same issue with it. It is starting faster but taking more time to load web pages. I am just running out of ideas now, I have checked out for chrome version and extension but I am not having any extensions yet and below is the chrome version details.
    Google Chrome 19.0.1084.52 (Official Build 138391) m
    OS Windows
    WebKit 536.5 (@118056)
    JavaScript V8 3.9.24.28
    Flash 11,2,202,235
    User Agent Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/536.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/19.0.1084.52 Safari/536.5
    Command Line "C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end
    Executable Path C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
    Profile Path C:\Documents and Settings\bvish\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

Is there anything else that I need to check out or any other solution that I can try out for getting this issue fixed?? Any further help regarding the same will be highly appreciated.

Even I need some help regarding the same, I have been using Chrome from a long time and after updating the chrome to 19.0.1084.52 things have gone worse. Now it is taking long time to startup and it is taking more time to load the web pages as well. When I click on chrome icon from my desktop then it takes 10 to 15 seconds for opening it up and after that when I try to open any web page then it takes more 10 to 15 seconds to display it. As far as I am aware version 19.0.1084.52 is the latest, correct me if I am wrong. Even my system is running windows 7, in my case I was not having such issues with chrome 18 and it all started after updating to 19. I have tried checking out for the possible fix for this in other forums as well but I have not yet come around an effective solution. Is there any workaround that I can try to solve this issue???

I have come across a number of people having this issue and below are the possible fix that I have found. If you want then you can try out the same and see if it is helping you out or not.
    • Try turning off all the firewalls.
    • If possible perform a full system scan for malware.
    • Turn off all the antivirus software while running the chrome program.
    • Try disabling or uninstalling the extensions that you might be having.
    • Un-check “Automatically detect proxy settings” by going in to the lan settings.

Just try out these possible solutions and let me know what you get for further help. If all these are not making any difference in your case then I don’t think that there is any other workaround that you can try out for now and will probably have to wait for chrome update to fix it out. Such issues have been reported by a number of people before using different versions of chrome and most have them were able to get it fixed by getting updates for their versions.

So now I have tried out the possible solutions that you have suggested and this is what I have found.
    • Turning off firewalls – made no difference
    • Turning off all the antivirus software – made no difference
    • Performing a full system scan – Did not found any suspicious malware
    • Disabling or uninstalling extensions - made no difference
    • Un-checking “Automatically detect proxy settings” - made no difference

As they have made no difference in my case I will have to wait to get the latest update right??? Since there is time to get the latest update by chrome I am switching back to the older version for now.if anyone gets any update or fix for this issue before that then please share it here. Thanks in advance.