Thread: Comcast pulls 1080i Free QAM channels

Comcast pulls 1080i Free QAM channels

Does anyone knows about Comcast who has pulled out the 1080i free QAM channels for the list. I have a very basic tv plan which were having some those channels. They are not not available. I also want to know something about those QAM channels. I planing to upgrade my plan and setup a htpc. For such I want to good external tv tuner support. I heard that there are usb tv tuner card also provided. Which is a better one in that.

Re: Comcast pulls 1080i Free QAM channels

The change in QAMs with HD channels is perhaps what is most striking in these two tables. Incidentally, some may have noticed that NBCHD now looks a little less insane than before because the video bitrate has significantly increased. If only the audio bitrate could do the same. Another highlight is perhaps that several QAMs are far from being used at 100% even if they already contain too many channels.

Yes it is correct that there are some channels which are stopped by comcast. For that you will need to get a QAM digital adapter for your TV set and then you will able to view those channels. The availability of QAM HD programming is rarely described or given publicity in product literature from cable company. So it cannot be prescribed ththat what channels comes under the same.

QAM is the format by which digital cable channels digs are encoded and transmitted via cable . QAM tuners can be compared to the equivalent of cable to the ATSC tuner which is required to receive over - air (OTA) digital channels announced by local television stations, many new cable-ready digital televisions support both standards. For a portable TV tuner you can go with HP USB TV Tuner.

An integrated QAM tuner allows free reception of digital programming sent deciphered in space by providers of cable, broadcast stations or music usually local. Which channels are scrambled varies greatly from location to location and can change over time, the majority of digital channels are scrambled because the providers consider them to be options for extra-cost and not part of the package of cable base.

If the QAM channels are encrypted then you cannot view the same with your normal receiver. The same is not possible and for that you will need to buy a cable card or a set top box to decrypt those protected channels. That can be provided by your cable network guy and I will recommend you to approach him.

I think a usb tv tuner card will work for you. In some case when you have a ATSC tuners there is no FCC provided that QAM tuners be included in new television sets. It is also possible that there are some support for both, ATSC and QAM are generally included. QAM is a modulation only. It does not indicate the format of digital data being made through this modulation. Contact your service provider first for that.