Thread: Failed to connect to server message in Thunderbird

Failed to connect to server message in Thunderbird

I am using windows 7 and had win live mail installed which is operating correctly. Now i reinstall Thinderbird and when i Click on Get mail i get this message "failed to connect to server" I am thunderbird so that i will get more latitude in setting up group Email address. I am not being able to enter account password. Can any one help me to get my Thunderbird working.Your suggestion is appreciated.

Re: Failed to connect to server message in Thunderbird

provide some additional information.
    1) which version of Thunderbird you use?
    2)Have you installed any extension?
    3) Do you have installed any theme?
    4) which secutity tool you are using?
    5)what kind of mail POP or IMAP?
    6)what are your server setting including server name and port no for Tools>Account Settings>*account*>Server Settings?
    7)do you have made any changes in hardware or software?

There might be the setting problem. i am having this setting and is worked ok for me.
    *open Email client program
    *Locate Email account setting for your client
    *Change POP server: pop.att.yahoo.com
    *change SMTP server:smtp.att.yahoo.com.
    *Check option labelled Use an encrypted connection (SSL) and change the SMTP port to 465.
    *Check the option labeled Use an encrypted connection (SSL) and change the POP3 port to 995
    *click OK
    my friend is having the same problem he edited his setting with this and Know he is having no issue. Hope this will help.
    I'm the Proud Owner of the most dangerous weapon
    known to man kind: Human Brain

My situation is similar to the above except that my Thunderbird is in the situation it won't work at all. I change the setting then i am able to retrieve my Email but when i try to send Email i get an Alert saying mail server "requires Authentication". I am having no Authentication certificate on my computer and i have never used encrypted Email.Even i have given a call to AT&T Yahoo help and wasted my half an hour and in the end they concluded me they will transfer my call to their technician which will cost $60 to solve my problem. Very frustrated.

When you are using ISP Email service provider you requires SMTP authentication
    for outgoing Email. You need to use user-name and password option for that SMTP server. Try performing the following setting to set up Thunderbird to use authentication with SMTP server:
    1) Go to [Tools]/[account setting]/[outgoing server]
    2)Select server and press EDIT button
    3)Check user-name and password.And see that your user-name will be your full Email address or only the word before @ depending on your service provider.
    4)click 'OK'
    Thunderbird will ask you for your password first time you send Email.

Thanks a lot buddy now my Thunderbird is working fine. What a simple solution. Now I can send Email as well as get my Email with no error messages. I just make the changes in mu account setting , I have entered exactly the same setting, my Email is now again working. Why could not ATT yahoo tell me that?. Buy the thak you once again for your valuable suggestion.

See to it that computer has Internet access when you launch TB. Make sure that any Anti-virus/Firewall allows TB to access the internet. See to it that the server address entry in Thunderbird is correct one. If you are having windows XP the follow this to see if your computer can see the server. Go to START menu select RUN. Enter cmd in the window. At the command prompt enter this line. “PING serverincoming.verizon.net” . You will get something back if your computer is getting connected to internet.
    I'm the Proud Owner of the most dangerous weapon
    known to man kind: Human Brain

See to it that computer has Internet access when you launch TB. Make sure that any Anti-virus/Firewall allows TB to access the internet. See to it that the server address entry in Thunderbird is correct one. If you are having windows XP the follow this to see if your computer can see the server. Go to START menu select RUN. Enter cmd in the window. At the command prompt enter this line. “PING serverincoming.verizon.net” . You will get something back if your computer is getting connected to internet.

Me too having the same problem. I am getting following message when send Email.
    "Sending of message failed.
    An error occurred sending mail: Unable to establish a secure link with SMTP server mail.siliconcomponents.net using STARTTLS since it doesn't advertise that feature. Switch off STARTTLS for that server or contact your service provider."
    I try few setting but it won’t work for me . Now I am planning to use MS mail service.

See that you have not checked the check box “Use secure Authentication” in the POP setting. You only have to use name and password in the SMYP. AT&T Yahoo doesn’t support “secure authentication” on receiving. To Uncheck it Go to Tools/ Account setting/ Server sitting. And see whether your user name is your full Email address and not the word before @.