Thread: How to install ifort compiler on ubuntu

How to install ifort compiler on ubuntu

I just installed ifort on my new little computer (Dell Inspiron mini 10v). I like the look a bit and I found nothing on the net to install ifort on my machine.

General :
    The Intel Fortran Compiler for Linux is a Fortran compiler, the commercial uses in a free version available is not. Also impressive is the software that comes with this passed extensive documentation, especially the nearly 900-page "Intel Fortran Language Reference. The Intel Fortran Compiler Fortran functions, in addition to the usual standard features and a host of his own subroutines and implemented.

Installation :
    A download location and license key for the Intel Fortran Compiler for Linux will be a registration procedure on the Intel Web site by e-mail sent to.
    Download the compiler software.
    - Unpack the zipped file (gunzip, tar).
    - The actual installation of the Intel Fortran compiler is using install script.

To install ifort:

- To download the Fortran compiler- download from the official site and select Intel Fortran Compiler Professional Edition for Linux, you must give the mail for a number License XXXX-XXXXXXXX we will ask you.

- Select Product IA-32/Intel for 64 and download the file (archive l_cprof_p_11.1.064.tgz in my case)

- Open a terminal and go to the directory where the archive is and type:
    Code:
     tar-zxvf l_cprof_p_XXX.tgz
    where XXX must replace the version numbers, in my case l_cprof_p_11.1.064.tgz

Re: How to install ifort compiler on ubuntu

-Enter the directory created:

Code:
    cd l_cprof_p
    (In my case cd l_cprof_p_11.1.064)

- Now we move to the installation:
    If you want all those who have an account can use it (which I recommend), type in the terminal:
    Code:
     sudo. / install.sh
    Otherwise, type:
    Code:
    . / Install.sh
    and choose to install just for you.

- Follow the instructions, it will ask you the license number (received via email to the address give above) and alert you to missing packages (libraries). You still have to continue and finish the installation. It will also ask you which directory you want to install it (I think default / opt / intel / Compiler /), if you install it in another directory, note, we're going to need it.

- Now that the compiler is installed, we will edit the file ~ /. Bashrc so that we can invoke the compiler ifort anywhere.

In the terminal type (in fact I have a little message afterwards, if someone can do better, he corrects me):
    Code:
     gedit ~ /. bashrc
    it will open the file ~ /. bashrc and add at end of file:
    Code:
    # compiler source / opt/intel/Compiler/bin/ifortvars.sh PATH = $ PATH: / opt/intel/Compiler/bin / export PATH # intel debugger fortran source / opt/intel/Compiler/bin/ia32/idbvars.sh PATH = $ PATH: / opt/intel/Compiler/bin/ia32 / export PATH
    If you chose a different directory, edit / opt / intel etc your choice.
    - Well, then, if I type in the terminal:
    Code:
    $ ifort ifort: command line error: no files specific; 
    for help type "ifort-help"
    The compiler we replied that there was no file to compile, so it works. But if I try to compile a fortran code. And yes, surprise, it was not the library libstdc + +. So.5 but when I look, I've installed version 6 (libstdc + +6). Therefore you must install libstdc + +. So.5, I found the next version of debian with ubuntu because I had problems). Download the file .deb and then install the package (just double click in a Nautilus browser is required) If there are dependency problems, go into synaptic and install dependencies.

Re: How to install ifort compiler on ubuntu

Note: In fact I helped a friend who installed ifort on hardy 64bit, and there is a subtlety with respect to the procedure given by menus:

- You must first install the package libstdc + +5 before attempting to install ifort.
    - Then we must create in / usr/lib32 symlink to the library libstdc + +. So.5 installed in / usr / lib:
    Code:
    sudo ln-s / usr / lib / libstdc + +.  / usr/lib32/libstdc + +
    - And finally you can install ifort.

In fact I was mostly a question about what you add in your ~ /. Bashrc, because intuition I just added this:

Code:
    # Intel Fortran export PATH = / opt/intel/Compiler/bin/ia32: $ PATH
    And I can compile my sources. So I have no problem, but out of curiosity I wonder what are the lines beginning with "source" and also your line:

Code:
    PATH = $ PATH: / opt/intel/Compiler/bin /
    Because there is no executable in the directory /opt/intel/Compiler/bin / and result I do not see the point to add it to PATH ... (I'm relatively novice, so I do not see the subtleties ...) Besides, when I put your lines in my ~ /. Bashrc and then I run a terminal.
    Code:
    Source / Source opt/intel/Compiler/bin/ia32/ifortvars.sh ia32 opt/intel/Compiler/bin/ia32/idbvars.sh

File extensions for source files :
    With the Intel Fortran compiler can be different Fortran language standard versions to compile programs. The Fortran type is determined by the file extension of the source file, usually defined. Extension Fortran version. For FORTRAN 77 (fixed-line format). F90. I90 Fortran 90/95 (open line format). FOR FTN Fpp FORTRAN 77 (fixed line format) with preprocessing. F90 Fortran 90/95 (open-line format) with Preprocessing

Application :
    In the setup is similar to the Intel Fortran compiler the GNU Fortran compiler. The most obvious differences are:

- The Intel Fortran compiler software is using ifort started
    - The Intel Fortran compiler software knows the file extensions . f95 and . F95 not
    - The Intel Fortran compiler software contains its own.