Thread: Can connect to internet via wireless but NOT Ethernet cable

Can connect to internet via wireless but NOT Ethernet cable

I have recently brought a Dell Studio 1737 laptop. Due to virus issue I have to completely format the Hard drive and did a clean install of windows Vista. After installing all the drivers back to the system, it is working fine. But there is one problem with the Ethernet port. Wireless is working fine but when I connect the Ethernet cable to the laptop connection is not detected. Can any one tell why I am notable to connect to the internet through LAN.

Re: Can connect to internet via wireless but NOT Ethernet cable

I may happen, that you installed all the drivers for wireless LAN and you forgot to install the driver for LAN. If you are using Ethernet cable for internet then LAN driver should be installed in your computer. Make sure that you have installed all the drivers properly.
    Note: you should first install Notebook driver and then install the chipset drivers. If you fail to do so then none of the drivers that you installed will work.

You performed clean install and might have installed all the drivers, except one, that is Ethernet controller driver. Unless you install the Ethernet driver you will not be able to use the Ethernet port. So from the Dell downloads get the network adapter PRO/100 NETWORK CONNECTION and install it to the laptop. Again I am notifying you that wireless adapter driver and LAN driver are two different drivers. Each of the network Adapters needs different drivers.

You are using a dell studio laptop, so here are some lists of driver that should be installed after you perform the clean install. Notebook system software( if required), video driver, audio driver, Chipset or SMBus driver, network drivers for both LAN and WLAN and a Quickset Driver (for laptop only). Check if you have installed all the drivers listed here and if any of them is missing, then install it. If you dont have any of them driver then download it from Dell downloads.