Thread: Hiding my WPA security key in Windows 7

Hiding my WPA security key in Windows 7

I just bought a new laptop and using it for internet throught wi-fi router connection. And I want to hide my WPA security key in windows 7 which is running on my laptop. But I am not able to get any solution to hide this key. Then I realize that you have to be an administration of the system to go to the security TAB, but here we work with many local adimn on their laptops in our office. I find lots of searching and thread but no where I found the solution. I understand that there are some other ways tofind keys if u stored it on your local system machine. But I am very average user of computer and I do not know how to make it hide in other version of Windows. Please provide me a easy solution.

Re: Hiding my WPA security key in Windows 7

It may not be probable to completely hide a locally-stored wireless key from a local administrator. If you are worried about your authorized users geting their key and providing access it to some unauthorized users, then one answer might be to white list MAC addresses on the wireless router. That method, even a user with a suitable key will not be able to communicate with the network if not they are doing so from a whitelisted MAC address. This is not a reliable method, as it is technically probable to spoof (fake) a MAC address, but in your matter 2 ways of authentication are probably improved than one.
    As previously stated above, the *perfect* way of doing this will be to use two-factor authentication (RADIUS, smartcard, authenticator tokens... etc).

Good luck!

Actually I was also struggling with these kinds of questions! But I have problem with above solution that I do not want the user came to know about the code. In windows 7, local admin have way to see simply the box that says “"Show Characters" and there it is in plain text. Normally I am running a company and there we have almost 2200 machines and I can guess almost 1500 people’s wants use their laptop in wifi connection. Not all of the 1,500 will have local admin authority at any time, but a significant amount do. I am not too understandable with RADIUS, but it is IAS an example of a RADIUS server?

You can hide your WAP key through these settings. Just follow my solution I hope it will help you. Connect your device directly to your router using an Ethernet cable. Now open your web browser to type in address http://192.168.0.1 here it is router’s default address so every time just default router address. Now login with your user password. You can find it through router manual. You will be able to do . I hope now you have solve your issue

Mainly, a confined proxy scheme will work by forcing all unique users on the network to authenticate on a fixed router webpage before they are allowable to send any traffic over the LAN close to the router. Every user can be allocating to single-use, time-restricted, or unlimited admission to the LAN. More complicated systems are clever to generate unique qualifications triggered by events such as a purchase or credit card charge, and pass that certificate to an outside application to be printed out on a ticket or buy receipt. This technique will allow you the choice to depart your wireless network open (or) password secluded, while still make sure that all users trying to utilize the network will be redirected to the router's entrenched authentication page before being allowed to access to the LAN connected to the router.

It is very hard to envision a situation where a trusted user (particularly one with local admin right of entry) will be authorized to utilize a wireless network, but not authorized to view the key utilized to get access that network. Well, right now, if one person misplace their laptop (its normally happens to all the time), or if one student takes 30 seconds on an unattended laptop, then everyone will know the "secure" key and can connect to the network at will.
    I'm the Proud Owner of the most dangerous weapon
    known to man kind: Human Brain

1. Windows required utilizing the unencrypted key to connect so I am not able to get certain why this is surprise is to you. I am completely sure that it will be in plain text in the registry also. If you have some problem to give them WAP key in plain text then use some encryption tricks and try to encrypt your key. Captive portals are liable to be the most excellent way to or something like 802.1x certificates on the PC itself in arrange to authorize the hardware to the wireless system. And other way why do you want to keep so many local administrators access? You will get some other security issues and problems by providing such random access to your system.