Thread: Open port 6881-6889 for the better/faster bittorrent download speed

Open port 6881-6889 for the better/faster bittorrent download speed

My ISP has Blocked this Port 6881 used in Utorrent ,now my download are not working i would like to know how can i make the Utorrent work on another port ? how can i open the port, is there a way to change u torrent to use another port ? How to configure your router to allow fast BitTorrent downloads. a research saying that to have a better/faster bittorrent download speed i need to open ports 6881-6889, but i don't know how to do it.
    Last edited by Caydien; 06-09-2010 at 10:04 AM.

Re: Open port 6881-6889 for the better/faster bittorrent download speed

Ports 6881 can be opened if the firewall is disabled that means port is open as it is not restricted by firewall. Portscan is disabled because of which there is not a single port to reply the SYN packet. If firewall is active the ports will be blocked, there are many users use BitTorrent to download movies or any entertainment contains from the internet. However the problem can come like slow download speed because the network configurations are not properly done.

I suggest you use a client that you can choose in the options what port(s) you want to use and use a random port(s) above 5000 and not the normal ones such the ones you mentioned above as some ISP throttle those and some trackers reject them. Then if you have router forward the same port(s) you chose in your but app also. Yo should then get a Green light most of the time which is what you want. Also some apps like Azrueus only require one port although it requires java and may need more resources as well...
    I'm the Proud Owner of the most dangerous weapon
    known to man kind: Human Brain

If your firewall is off, then the ports are "open", as in not blocked. The reason you're not seeing anything with a port scan is because there's nothing actively listening on those ports that would "answer" a SYN packet.
    The procedure for forwarding a port in the router varies with each make and model of router.
    Check your router's label for its manufacturer and model number and select the appropriate model at the Port forward Router Guide.
    Increase Utorrent Download Speed:
    1) Open a web browser window and type your Default Gateway IP number in the address bar. It should be 192.168.1.1 in most cases.

2) To login leave username blank and type admin for the password (unless you have changed it before which is always advisable)
    3) Find the section that says Port Range Forwarding or similar
    4) Add in the port range 6881-6889 for Torrent files
    5) Make sure you check both protocol boxes TCP and UDP as well as the Enable setting.

6) Have the forward address set as your internal IP address 192.168.1.72 in our case. To find yours Go to Start -> Run and type in cmd.

This will open a DOS window. Type the command IPCONFIG and look for your �IP Address�.

7) Confirm and submit all the changes and that will probably work.

You should go for the random ports and use the client for the option what ports you want to use , random ports can be selected above 5000. You can also go for the methods as :
    • You have to use the fixed IP address for the computer you are forwarding the port With most good routers.
    • Web surfing and forwarding port are the two different methods (Surfing is outgoing, the forwarded port is incoming.)
    • It can be useful to solve the problem.

Forwarding ports are the methods used to forward the port to some other port this can be possible if you use the static IP address for the computer to which you are forwarding the port if you are using the best router. Port forwarding does not depends on the number of port you forward so number will not be a issue. This method differ from surfing the web in all aspects so there is no similarity between the two. Port forwarding can be one of the solution for Utorrent download problem.