Thread: No internet connectivity vista

No internet connectivity vista

I have searched other threads, and have not found anything close enough to my issue or not the same hardware/software, to post there.

I have a vista home premium 32 bit system, no additional upgrades or anything special. I have a home network with a netgear wpn824 router, an at&t motorola dsl modem that has been replaced once due to this issue, I have an iphone and a dell laptop running vista, which I am able to connect to the home pc via the network. I cant get internet to stay connected on any of these machines. It will stay connected and then disc sporadically. Some of the steps that I have tried have made it stay connected for as much as 6 hours, but once it drops the first time, it goes down about every 15 minutes, sometimes more frequently.

Steps I have tried:

Restarted PC and reset router and modem-did not work
    Connected modem directly to pc-worked for 6 hours
    Restarted the base filtering engine-worked for 6 hours
    Stopped base filtering engine-did not work
    Turned off ipv6 & ipv4 (which showed it wasnt installed,was prompted to install from disc when attempting to install)-did not work
    Was able to ping 127.0.0.1 with no packet data loss
    Ran winsockfixit-worked for 3 hours
    Installed and ran malwarebytes,found 12 trojans,cleaned, restarted, ran full scan again,clean successful-worked 4 hours
    Installed and ran spybot s&d,found 2 of the trojans found before,cleaned, restarted,ran full scan again,clean successful-did not work
    Ran winsockfixit again-did not work

Modem test shows that only DNS failed, everything else passed.
    Not sure exactly what DNS is, but before I set up my network again, I was getting the error, cannot find well known host "www.microsoft.com" something DNS server?

On top of all of this, I have spent hours on the phone with at&t's "tech support" and all I got was the standard, did you restart all of your electronics? is there any phones or electronics beside your modem. And when I asked about the microsoft/DNS error, i was told that they cannot correct a microsoft issue :0|

There is really no way for me to pinpoint when this started because my connection has been slowing down for a few months now, and i ran virus scans and cleaned up the pc here and there and it would speed up momentarily, so i dont know if it actually started when i started losing connectivity (3 weeks ago), or if it started when the connection began to slow. Hope someone can help, i included as much info as i thought was necessary, if anything more is needed, let me know thanks

Re: No internet connectivity vista

I cannot say this for sure but it sounds like you aren't getting all the DHCP data issued. Check your connection settings and be SURE dns is also set to automatic! - Click on the wireless connection, click properties, click on the Internet/TCP-IP settings and be sure that all is set to AUTO. There are known issues with VISTA and DHCP servers, see this note from MS.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233

In my internet properties, everything is already set to auto, but I was unable to find any way of enabling DHCP. It was enabled in the ipv4 connection already, but its not in the ipv6 and I cant find were to enable it. Obtain DNS servers automatically is checked by default already so I'm not really sure what the deal is.
    My network and internet connection are the same, I only have one icon to click for all network and internet activity. When I am connected to the internet, I'm also connected to the network and vice versa, only now it wont STAY connected to the internet.

Thanks for your advice, any further help would be wonderful. I have never had this much trouble before. I can usually fix it myself within a few hours by googling the problem, it just seems that this one is very common, but never found an actual fix.

Can you remember what you did before you lost internet access? Did you install/uninstall a program? Did you try using system restore to undo the changes? Do you have your Vista CD at hand? I would suggest that we should try a system file check first, to see if you have any corrupted files and if so if replacing those files restores functionality. If that doesn't work, I would either ask you to try your luck to do a system restore / an image restore, as this seems to be a malware problem.

The only thing that I can remember that happened around the time the intermittent connection started was our power went out when the computer was on, with internet connected, and of course it shut down. As far as system restore, I didnt try that for about a week because I just assumed it was an isp problem when it first started, so I went to them immediately. Then after a week of no help, I used a restore point from 2 weeks prior to intermittent connectivity, but it didnt make a difference.

I finally got an appointment with a tech who will be here between 1 and 5 today. If he cant find anything, I will definitely try my vista CD to see if there are any files that need to be replaced. If I choose the repair option, it will automatically repair just files that are corrupt right? I guess I'm just trying to make sure it wont correct any settings I have made, or wipe any files I have added.

It is likely that the viruses/trojans that were on here corrupted some files or settings, but I thought that winsock was supposed to fix that. But I did run it twice and it didnt seem to make much of a difference, if any. I will post back after using my cd with any new information.

Thanks so much for all of your help! It turns out that there is a ground in the line i was cobnected to on the poll, and the tech said dsl doesnt like ground to begin with. But something happened recently, im guessing in the storm a few weeks ago where this started, that caused some grounds to touch and when te wind blew they touched and caused connection loss, at least this is the explanation the tech gave me. So he moved our connection to another line and not only is it not losing connection now but its faster than it ever was. So Im good now. Thanks sooo much for all the help!