Thread: Huge runaway OST file in Outlook (2007)

Huge runaway OST file in Outlook (2007)

I am using Outlook on windows xp. I just want to confirm that is there any thoughts on what could cause an Outlook OST file to continuously grow, and after that become huge ? In this xp system running office 2007. Previously I have deleted 7gb .ost of file a months ago. But today I have seen that system has 20gb file, which was of course playing havoc on the system. But the rebuild of the OST was only of 100 mb in size.

Re: Huge runaway OST file in Outlook (2007)

Whatever you have asked is ok but I want little bit of more information. So I just want to ask that Are you running through an Exchange Server or is the machine acting as the exchange server? In that approximate how much emails do you have in total ? And Do many of your emails have large attachments?

Yes, Most of the topics I have mention there. But here I tell you more about it. In that it's fetching from a dedicated Exchange 2007 server. Their's only an about 100mb of email in the actual mailbox (server and client side) to which the ost file is for, even though the ost file was 20gb. And the client is in running in the cached mode. So I think It is more for you. So please provide me a solution as soon as it is possible.

Ok, Brother so your .ost is appearing 20 GB while the actual data on Exchange Server is 100 MB. So solution for this problem iI have given below.
    It's solution is very simple in this case if you are connected to Exchange Server and OST is in synchronization with Exchange Server then just delete the .ost file which is located on your computer. And the .ost file will be created at your system with the actual size of emails that Exchange Server has. This will fix your problem.

The earlier posting have give the right solution but One solution is more here which will I think help you a lot. In this if you have orphaned .ost file then use ost to pst tool, And isimply convert your .ost file in pst file. When your .ost file will be converted into pst file, then you will get the pst in its actual size and can be accessed with outlook. Only this much which I know I have posted and I think it will help you a lot.

Around 4 to 5 days back I was also facing the same problem. But after reading your posting I have tried it. Previously it was not working then I think it also like the others stupid solution. But when I have rebooted my pc it was working properly. I am very happy that my problem get fixed. I don't know about the 3rd posting but for me 4th one is working very nicely. Thanks a lot.

I am facing the same problem. Actually same issue is happening with me. I have tried your solution but it is not working properly. Then I have added Ms CRM outlook and then add-in installed. I just want to share this that one of my friend has suggested this to me. Now it is working properly. And yes CRM is so awesome.

jennylembert Guest

In such case where the .ost on the local system becomes heavy use the following steps:
    If you are connected to Exchange Server and OST is in synchronization with Exchange Server then just delete the .ost file which is located on your local system. ANd thus the .ost file will be created with the actual size of the emals on Excahange server, thus your problem gets resolved