Thread: Google update installation failed with error 0x8004070C

Google update installation failed with error 0x8004070C

I am having an issue with the update of the Google Chrome. While i am trying to update the Google Chrome to the latest release of the same at that time i am getting the error 0x8004070C with the same. I am unable to update the Google because of this installation error 0x8004070C. If any one is having any idea about the same then please help me with the same. Thanks in advance.

Re: Google update installation failed with error 0x8004070C

Then first thing i will advise you to do is to check whether the Antivirus or the Firewall blocking the Google Chrome update to connect through the Internet. It can be possible that the update program is stopped by the Antivirus or firewall that is why you are unable to do the same. So disable the firewall and Antivirus and the run the update process.

As per your problem i have searched and come up with the solution which might be helpful for you and give you the ability to update the Google Chrome browser. Just follow the below given link.
    1. Go to the Start menu > Run.
    2. Enter the following in the text box: regedit
    3. Click OK.
    4. Find and right-click the relevant registry key for your operating system:
      • Windows XP: AuditInProgress in HKLM\System\Setup
      • Windows Vista: ImageState in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\State
      • Windows 7: ImageState in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\State
    5. Select Modify.
    6. Delete the value.
    7. Click OK.

I am having the exactly same problem which is not allowing me to install the update for the Google Chrome and giving the error. So i finally used then following step which helped me for same. I hope this will work for you to.

• Click the Start
    • Click on Run
    • Type %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp and hit enter
    • It will open a Temporary Folder
    • Look for "Chrome_installer.log"

If it is not there then your browser is broken and you need to update the file into the browser.

If you are unable to get the update for the Google Chrome then simply just download the update file and then install the update file into the existing Google Chrome. Also if you like you can download the latest Google Chrome download from then Google and install the same instead of the update for same.

Are you running the Mcafee Antivirus program into the system of yours. As most of the Mcafee user had reported the same problem with the update of the Google Chrome browser. The Google Update is conflicting with the Mcafee program and resulting to error. So if you can then disable the Mcafee and then try to run the same.

Quote Originally Posted by ameer123 View Post
    As per your problem i have searched and come up with the solution which might be helpful for you and give you the ability to update the Google Chrome browser. Just follow the below given link.
    1. Go to the Start menu > Run.
    2. Enter the following in the text box: regedit
    3. Click OK.
    4. Find and right-click the relevant registry key for your operating system:
      • Windows XP: AuditInProgress in HKLM\System\Setup
      • Windows Vista: ImageState in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\State
      • Windows 7: ImageState in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\State
    5. Select Modify.
    6. Delete the value.
    7. Click OK.
    what if you already have no value in that space? then what should you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson2 View Post
    I am having the exactly same problem which is not allowing me to install the update for the Google Chrome and giving the error. So i finally used then following step which helped me for same. I hope this will work for you to.

• Click the Start
    • Click on Run
    • Type %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp and hit enter
    • It will open a Temporary Folder
    • Look for "Chrome_installer.log"

If it is not there then your browser is broken and you need to update the file into the browser.
    What if the file is there already? How do you fix the problem that still exists? I believe I have tried everything I can find in any help forum and am still having the same problem. I personally had chrome installed on my computer and then it vanished mysteriously from my computer desktop. I uninstalled it from the control panel. Then upon reinstalling it I got an error code that said "Installation failed due to unspecified error. If Google Chrome is running please close it and try again." Then I followed some instructions I found in the help forums. Now when trying to install I get the error code "Google Update installation failed with error 0x8004070c." I am running on Windows 7 and can not find a solution to any issue that I am having and can not find somone that actually knows what they are talking about or what to do to fix this problem!!! I am frustrated and would like to have my Chrome back but am unable to figure this out on my own.

Found the Chrome_installer.log here is the info. that was inside: [1208/021629:ERROR:version.cc(46)] Invalid version string: .
    [1208/021629:ERROR:version.cc(46)] Invalid version string: ..
    [1208/021630:ERROR:copy_tree_work_item.cc(97)] failed copy C:\Users\Deborah O'Brien\AppData\Local\Temp\CR_ECD3.tmp\setup.exe to C:\Users\Deborah O'Brien\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\8.0.552.215\Installer\setup.exe
    [1208/021630:ERROR:work_item_list.cc(34)] list execution failed
    [1208/021630:ERROR:install.cc(687)] Install failed, rolling back...
    [1208/021630:ERROR:install.cc(689)] Rollback complete.

Still having problems with it working for some reason Please help! Send reply on how to fix it. Thanks