Thread: What is plugin-container.exe and how to disable it

What is plugin-container.exe and how to disable it

I guess this is the right section for this query. Am using Firefox as my default web browser on Windows XP system. Suddenly i found plugin-container.exe process in the Task Manager, i.e. obviously its new for me I saw it for the first time because I opened my task manager less often. While working I also found it under my Mozilla folder and was trying to get access to the internet. I want some information about the same as am afraid that it might be some kind of malware or so. Please let me know what is plugin-container.exe and how can i disable the same if needed ?

Re: What is plugin-container.exe and how to disable it

There is nothing to be afraid about plugin-container.exe as it is not a kind of any virus, trojan or malware. It is just a piece of Mozilla Firefox2 plugin-container. Actually plug-in container runs the useful plugins like flash. Incase your flash crashes, this program will prevent your Firefox browser for being crashed with the same. This process is infact not imperative as for your system process, but you must not kill it unless and until its harming your system or slow it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Shahaka View Post
    i wanted to get some information about the same as am afraid that it might be some kind of malware or so. Please let me know what is plugin-container.exe and how can i disable the same if needed ?
    As we all know that some plugins like Adobe Flash, Apple Quicktime or Microsoft Silverlight can be crashed on Windows as well as Linux operating systems. With the help of plugin-container.exe , If any of these plugin collide or get freeze, it is not going to have an effect on the rest of Firefox. You will be able to restore the page to start over the plugin and strive yet again.

Although you can kill this program directly from your Task Manager but there is an another way to disable it permanently. First, if you want to do the same from task manager, than open task manager, go to process tab, select plugin-container.exe and click on kill process.

Secondly, open your Firefox Blank Tab, type About:config in the address bar, now search or scroll for dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npswf32.dll. once you find it, perform a double click to change it to false. Still your Flash will perform .

Thanks for this useful discussion, friends. But as i just got to know that it prevents our Firefox browser from getting crashed, there is no sense to kill or disable it. Hence, plugin-container.exe is Trojan and virus free. It really makes your Firefox web browsing much satisfying. You can carefully permit it run in the background of your computer.