Thread: IMAP Settings for iPhone

IMAP Settings for iPhone

hi, am sorry if am posting this query in any wrong section. I am having a iPhone 3GS and had recently signed for an Hotmail account. So i had also tried to configure the Hotmail on my iPhone. Everything was fine but the problem is that i can only access my inbox on my iphone and not the folders, address book, Attachment button. I guess, i had made some mistake while configuring. So am here. could you guys please make me know the correct IMAP Settings for iPhone ? Thanks for all your helps.

Re: IMAP Settings for iPhone

Here are the step by step you need to configure your iPhone for Hotmail:
    1. First of click on Settings on your iPhone and tap on Mail than Add Account than Other and finally tap on Add Mail Account.

2. Type in the Name, your Hotmail Email Address and Password.

Remember that you might face an error stating you may require being a Windows Live Hotmail Plus Subscriber. There is nothing to worry, you can ignore this error by just clicking on OK. Pop3 is obtainable at present free of charge for all Hotmail users.

3. Finally tap on "Save". Your account will be robotically configured devoid of additional stroke.

4. Now just move ahead to the IPhone mail client and begin downloading your pop3 mails. For the first time when you will start downloading, pop3 servers may consume about 5 mints for the first sync.

With the support of IMAP, the iPhone can be integrated to virtually any server environment messaging. If the server takes supports IMAP and is configured to request the identification of the user and the application of SSL, iPhone delivers a highly consultative approach secure and standardized the deployment of e-mail. During a deployment standard iPhone establishes a direct access to an IMAP server via port 993 and SMTP servers via port 587.

These servers can be located in a sub- DMZ network behind a corporate firewall, or both. With SSL, iPhone supports 128-bit encryption and X.509 root certificates issued by major certificate authorities. iPhone also supports the methodes strong authentication information, including MD5 Challenge-Response and NTLMv2.

In case your iPhone is unable to populate the server information automatically than you can use the following server settings:
    • Pop3 Server: pop3.live.com (Port: 995)
    • SMTP Server: smtp.live.com (Port: 25)
    • Advanced Settings:
    • Incoming Uses SSL: On
    • Outgoing Uses SSL: On
    • Authentication: Password
    • Delete from Server: When removed from inbox

The ports 587, 465 or 25 must be opened to allow the sending of electronic mail from iPhone. iPhone automatically checks the port 587, then the port 465, and finally the port 25. The port 587 is the port most reliable and safest because it necessities identification of the user. Port 25 provides the least security because it is used for many years and may be more attacked by pirates. It is also the port that the ISP blocks by default to prevent the sending of spam.

Hotmail actually uses a special protocol (HTML) which is not POP3 or IMAP4. To keep your hotmail you must purchase it at their option which enables you to pay your mail forwarder to a GMail account type that does not meet most standards of IMAP, but at least it works nickel iPhone.

In order to setup IMAP Network you should open port 993 to allow reception of electronic messages through the firewall. The proxy server must be configured to use IMAP over SSL. Protocol SSL encryption ensures the security of electronic mail during transmission Wireless. For better protection, a good practice to install on the server a digital certificate issued by a Certificate Authority (CA) trusted as VeriSign. The installation of a certificate issued by a CA is essential in the addition to checking your proxy server as a separate trust in the infrastructure of your business.