Thread: What is the fix for error 651

What is the fix for error 651

Can someone tell me what does the error message Problem opening port error 651 means. I try to set up a connection to an external modem on Windows 7 and I am getting this error. I googled on Internet and found that this issue is related to some rasppoe.sys file. I am not so good in this but does replacing this file will fix the issue out. Does this is a some sort of driver issue in the system.

Re: What is the fix for error 651

The file Raspppoe.sys file located in the Windows drive. The default one for the same is C. The exact location is Windows \ System32 \ drivers \ and this file is the cause of the problem. You can get this file from another working system that contains Vista or Windows 7. Just go in other system running on Windows 7 and copy this file from there. Then paste it back on the same location and one. If again the issue comes then contact your ISP for the net issue.

It seems that this famous error 651 which is most common on Windows 7 either has something to say with the ethernet operation. Ethernet port connect your system with the internet. I have a modem connected to my system and the same was dead when I found the error. I called my ISP and got a replacement for the same. Now it is working well.

That happens to me before when my brother bought a laptop with preinstalled Windows 7. We have an Internet connection connected to a local ISP which shares the connection. This system works very well and I was sharing the same internet connection on 2 different systems. Everything works here well. The laptop of my brother was logged in ethernet and it worked fine until the day it stopped working. I got the same error 651. I try many things that have never worked.

I am working for a local ISP and a client called me stating that the internet does not work suddenly. According to him the internet connection lost without warning. The person is using a ADSL modem and a Windows 7 operating system. I will advised for this to verify the Ethernet wire between the ADSL modem and computer. A easy fix can be disconnecting and reconnecting the two ends of the Ethernet LAN back. And there it started working.

The error is somewhat similar to network cable is unplugged error. Here your system is not able to contact the modem and due to which you get the error. Just reconnect your networking cable or change the same. The other thing you can do is contact your ISP for the issue. You can try to re-install your modem back again to ensure that there is not much issue from that side.

There are lots of ways to fix this error. First is to re-install the phone modem. For that you can go directory in Control panel and click on on Phone modem. Ensure that proper modem is install there. Another method you can try here is resetting the TCP/IP. And the last thing you can try here is installing the modem drivers back. You can look for some new updates for the modem. Check the official site for the same.

I don't know if anyone posted an answer to this forum but, the solution is simple. You're connected to a proxy server and now it's unavailable. It doesn't affect FireFox for some reason but Chrome and iTunes don't work. To fix it, go the Chrome, select the wrench and click on:
    Settings
    Show Advanced Settings
    Change proxy settings....
    Lan Settings (button at the bottom)
    Uncheck "Use a proxy server for your LAN"

Click OK until you're back to the Settings tab. Chrome and iTunes should work for you.

NOTE: Never touch system files or drivers....period . Especially if the problem suddenly occured. In all cases the problem(s) occured because something was done or installed. If your firewall, router and antivirus systems are installed and your OS is being updated you shouldn't run into this kind of problem. The only thing I hate about my advice is that Win 7 has been updated into bloatware and is now so slow I'm seriously considering going back to Win XP .