Thread: The handheld e-reader from Sony

The handheld e-reader from Sony

Introduction :
    Sony persevere on the market by launching the e-book, a small pocket model. Driven by electronic ink, the device can not touch comfortably read thousands of pages for hours, even in bright sunlight. Barely out of the box, the reading lamp is surprisingly small size, equivalent to that of a paperback book. Well sized, it fits at least as easily in large pockets or bags. The aluminum finish gives an almost luxurious side to this beautiful object.

Re: The handheld e-reader from Sony

What does it serve?
    I have a number of PDF for my work, whether the reference material such as Spring, Hibernate or Seam or book electronically purchased on the Internet. In short this little world is a few pounds and two or three forests were cleared once and printed here with this little gadget 260g, I get everybody. Ditto for the documents of my projects converted to RTF and PDF (you can switch to landscape mode for viewing presentations). But that's not all, the machine comes with a menu full of classic literature.

Side Keypad :
    As the device is not touchscreen, Sony has equipped the selection buttons on the right of the display. Why not. To use the interface is used well and we easily navigated the menus and pages. Only regret, the page change is sometimes a bit slow and "dirty" since the entire display turns black very briefly between two pages. However, this electronic ink, despite its limitations, however, did wonders in full sun. The display is beautiful, radiant white and black really black. The ideal on the terraces or outside, where the displays of mobile phones or other tablets become unreadable, even with sunglasses.

The invisible ink :
    Frankly e-ink is a process really bluffing. It seems to read a page of paper slightly chilled. The vision is not more altered than on paper by changing the angle of the "page", no flicker and no eye strain does not manifest itself after several hours of reading. In fact, the machine is mostly passive: it is only when a page change a little energy is used to erase the old content and display a new. This allows the craft to ensure a range of about 8000 pages before needing to be recharged. The screen is not backlit, nor touch (although there are more dear readers support these features) which gives the player the same level of visual experience with a real book (reading is not without light for example).

Nice photo :
    A zoom feature allows you to enlarge the pages, eg for the visually impaired. Graphic reminder that no damage will be possible to know where it really is. Similarly, no function-style cover flow not to scan the pages quickly. That said, the buttons on the side, which are actually a keypad, can dial up the page and access it quickly. Another way is to go through the table of contents that also works for example with the camera manual in PDF format.

Tough :
    There remains the thorny question of content and its management. When connecting the first time his book to a computer (USB), a management program installed. It allows, laboriously, to move his books from his PC to his reader. I will not dwell on the usability of the deplorable thing .... I shall not dwell either on the lack of wi-fi or 3G (especially from Sony Ericsson) And the books? Dur. For now, you can read PDF files, access to Google's book or those of Project Gutenberg, for example.

Capacity and supported formats :
    In terms of the ability to have no worries, the machine has 192 MB standard may also have a Memory Stick Pro Duo and SD HC 32 GB or more possible. A 1 or 2 MB's book, it can pick up some bookshelves ... If the player supports almost all formats e-books today: EPUB eBook, BBeB ebook, Adobe PDF (3 with or without DRM), Microsoft Word, TXT, RTF. In Chapter PDFs I tested a lot, there are two zoom levels that can read an A4 without problems. One can condemn a layout just exploded when you zoom in this kind of format. I also tested the EPUB format without DRM, playback is nice and the text is well laid out with the zoom. In the "stuff not useful" (for me anyway), the player supports MP3 and AAC audio formats and JPEG image formats, gif, png and bmp (which display a black and white is not very interesting).