Thread: Skype won't connect on mac through proxy

Skype won't connect on mac through proxy

When we are at the university we require a proxy to connect with the web. For some of the causes, skype seems unable to connect with the allocated server on my mac system, but some of the students are able to login on windows XP without any issues.

I have tested and the proxy configuration match (from what I followed , skype depends on the same proxy configuration has the ones declared on the OS X's connection settings). I have also used to connect without proxy. Do you have any idea to troubleshoot or fix the issue ?

Re: Skype won't connect on mac through proxy

I think, this is going on just because of the incapability of the software (Skype) that is causing the issue and you have to be sure from the connection side and then after just go for the troubleshooting of software related issues and incapability. The first thing comes to solve this issue to go for the upgrade or use the latest version of the software .Have you also try with newly released Skype 2.8 Beta from the official site of Skype .

Hi, Thanks for considering on my issues and prompt replies. I got your suggestion but I don't think it can be a possible solution to resolve this type of issue. But after all, I followed the procedure as you suggested me to do . I once again tried to be connect with the stable version and again it got failed to go for the connection , I decided to move ahead and installed the beta version . There is no luck at the end of the whole procedure and unable to connect with the proxy.

I am not working in the network via the proxy, but am running with the same 'can't connect' issue on my Mac installed system . (Yeah, I have the newly released Skype version, 2.8.xx)

I implemented Boot Camp on my Mac system and can retrieve this with the help of Windows XP side without any issues . But, on the Mac side, it has yet to connect. I have figured out the differences in the port access. windows XP has one in the 30000 range whereas the Mac based system stays at one in the 10000 range. I don't have any cure idea that has any bearing, but I would really like to be able to work with the Skype on the Mac installed system .

Dr. V Guest

Just go through the procedure suggested below :

A manual refresh in Skype's data transformation information may also be supported by below explained information :

1. Exit from the Skype application
    2. Move to the directory located “ ~/Library/Application Support/Skype/ “
    3. Remove the file named as "shared.xml"
    4. launch the Skype again.

NB ~ sign indicates your home directory. You can get access on your home directory by browsing the “Finder“ and choosing Go => Home from the menu bar or selecting Command (Apple)+Shift+H keys.