Thread: Safari adds file extension .zip while downloading, how to turn off this

Safari adds file extension .zip while downloading, how to turn off this

I am not able to work this one out. If I am accessing my Netmail online such as Hotmail, and I desire to download an attachment. I determine to hit it off it and it determine to download no tribulations, additional than Leopard determine to add an extra extension of .as. So the file of "mypic.jpg" determine to become "mypic.jpg.as" which it obviously does not comprise a clue what to do by means of it. It happens by means of the entire types of files inc pdf files. Has anybody else encounted the similar tribulations, and how have they fixed it. The entire apps are fully up to date. What should I do in this case.

Re: Safari adds file extension .zip while downloading, how to turn off this

I have by no means had that tribulations, additional than I be able to present some solutions. Have you tried an additional browser. Or an additional account on your Mac. Perhaps it's on the netmail end. Encompass you tried on an additional system. These steps might at least narrow down the tribulations. I have not yet, additional than determine to get Firefox installed, and create certain it the entire out. This behavior does not revolutionize the file in any method. Delete the .as extension and your files determine to be completely normal. I do not have a clue what the .as extension stands for. On the other hand, Safari adds extensions to a number of my downloads. It be able to be annoying, additional than it nothing that I be anxious regarding.

Safari similar to add file extensions so to facilitate the file's name replicates the type that the web server things it's sending. So, if the web server is influential Safari that it's getting a "video/mpeg" file and the file name is "someMovie.avi", Safari determine to mechanically add ".mpg" to the end. This is particularly annoying when web servers get types totally incorrect, which occurs an additional often than it be supposed to. I cannot tell you how numerous times I have tried to download a .rar file that the server says are text/plain. It's an assortment of fun watching Safari sputter and obstruct as it tries to display a 10MB binary file as text.

I might not locate a reply to this in preceding posts, apologetic if it's there. Additional than, each time I download something by means of Safari (IE: word document from an e-mail, .pdf file, etc.) it mechanically adds a .html file extension to it. How do I maintain this from occurring. Zip files, pdf's - not the entire additional than some - (might apply to additional files I have not originate yet) file.zip (includes a PDF, some additional documents) – determine to be file.zip.html and maps.pdf (presently a pdf on a winbox, opens generally) - gets tagged maps.pdf.html. Several method of losing the .html extensions so I do not have comprise to do it by hand every time it occurs.

That's frequently caused by the web server the files are hosted on misidentifying the MIME kind of the file (almost certainly as text/html). Be able to you position an illustration connecting to a file you have this tribulations by means of it. Additional web browsers seem to have sufficient 'smarts' to pay no attention to the MIME type for certain types of files, whereas Safari determine to immediately follow what the web server is inaccurately telling it. I observe the tribulations as Safari is reading it, Firefox reads the element as a connection that determine to open in the similar window.

It is not fraction of the webpage that determines the satisfied type of the download. That's a separate arrangement setting on the server side. The code you posted is for the webpage the links are present on. When the connection is clicked on the server, the server sends the headers I mentioned in my preceding situation to the browser indicating the type of satisfied to anticipate. The 'content-disposition:' part in addition means that the browser be supposed to not try and display the data in the browser additional than permit the user to save it.

Theoretically, Safari is doing what it is told appropriately. Regrettably, there are quite a small number of mis-configured web servers out there. Send feedback to Apple regarding this via Safari menu > Report bugs to Apple. You are not the first to query this performance, and you would not be the last one of the enormous mysteries and one that's been approximately for years. Some attribute the tribulations to a meticulous file's MIME type, a number of to the configuration of the server feeding the file, additional to Safari's inner runnings, and tranquil additional to whether a browser gives precedence to MIME type or file extension or a number of combination of the on top of. The merely thing people seem to agree on is that there's nothing a Safari end-user be able to do to protect the occasional addition of .txt.