Thread: Cannot to Internet in Ubuntu 10.04

Cannot to Internet in Ubuntu 10.04

I got a laptop from a client which is running on Ubuntu 10.04. It is a Linux based operating system. I had worked on the same few times. I am not aware about the internet settings in that. I found that even when I connect live internet connection there is no active connection shown in it. I am not able to connect internet it as I want to update some packages in that. What should I do here.

Re: Cannot to Internet in Ubuntu 10.04

Connecting via network card is the easiest option when you simply connect a network cable to the computer. To network card to work, you must either use the automatic setup, or specify the options manually. By default Ubuntu network card will be adjusted automatically, the developers described it as roaming. If this is your case, access to the Internet you have already configured. Otherwise, enter the desired parameters, their values assigned by the ISP.

Despite the package network-manager, with the Internet settings on Ubuntu problems may occur. If your network is configured, without static IP, then perhaps you are lucky and the whole setup will be in the GUI. So there is no big deal in setting up that. Himself a static IP configured via network-admin. The command for the same is sudo network-admin. Just open a terminal and have a look on it.

NetworkManager starts on it own in the notification area. By default, all network interfaces are transferred to the roaming. This means that they all rely on DHCP. NetworkManager will automatically detect all the wireless adapters, and you will only have to configure access (all via GUI). If you have a VPN (PPTP), you should put packages pptp-linux and network-manager-pptp. Package network-manager-pptp can download it from Windows.

Packets are put through the Terminal which is located in Applications then click on Accessories and click on Terminal. Other than this a package manager Synaptic is also available in Ubuntu. It is located in System > Administration > package manager Synaptic or directly launch a specific deb-package by double click on it. For installation use the command : sudo aptitude install. So the command types will be sudo aptitude install pptp-linux which then ask for password. And install by double-clicking the package network-manager-pptp

Customize the Internet in Ubuntu is very simple. Provider usually arranges to connect one of several ways like PPPoE, VPN, Ethernet and Dial-up - using a modem to dial. To avoid repetitive manipulation of the mouse, use the command line. Start the terminal and put the command :

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-main-menu network-manager network-manager-pptp network-manager-vpnc network-manager-openvpn pppoe pppoeconf pppstatus openvpn openvpn-blacklist pptp-linux vpnc. This will save precious time.

Some packages may already be installed. But for completeness, lists all of them, just in case. The system will not rearranging what is already installed and will proceed to the next package. Network Settings in Ubuntu made through the menu, the icon is (applet) by default located in the upper right corner. In the illustration, this applet is marked with a red contour.