Thread: How to safely close torrent via command line

How to safely close torrent via command line

As of at present, if the 'Minimize on Close' alternative is selected, than using taskkill or pskill or comparable results in a forced shutdown of the client, resulting in a prolonged disk create certain on next work that is completely unnecessary and perceptibly not recommended for the HDD. I would similar to be familiar with if there's a way I am able to shutdown the client gracefully/safely using the command-line. I desire to automate when uTorrent starts and closes throughout the day using batch files or perhaps even the Windows task scheduler or a 3rd party program. But if no such command-line alternative exists, I would approximate to recommend that an innovative /close alternative be added that determine to basically close the program safely, as if File > Exit (or Exit from the tray icon context menu) had been clicked.

Re: How to safely close torrent via command line

Subsequent this I utilize CLI to control utorrent and would feel affection for to be capable to do this too. I would in addition similar to instant this, as I am presently working µTorrent as a service. Which shutting down system causes µTorrent not to finish cleanly. And I am able to imagine of a small number of cases where it requirements to encompass this. We have gotten reports that uTorrent has become unkillable using exterior utilities.

Interesting convenience positively. Too bad it necessitate .Net, in view of the fact that I first and foremost necessitate utilizing it on a system which cannot comprise the .Net framework installed on it for various reasons. Tranquil through to come in handy for my additional systems. This tranquil be supposed to not protect uTorrent from having an in-built /CLOSE command-line alternative BTW. Why rely on exterior utilities when the app. be able to do it itself. Frankly, I cannot actually observe several reasons not to have this.

Having a built-in /CLOSE disagreement is no dissimilar from having an exterior submission do the job for the reason that calling utorrent.exe /CLOSE is accurately the similar thing as calling an exterior submission. The innovative instance of utorrent.exe receiving the /CLOSE disagreement basically passes along the /CLOSE parameter to the existing illustration of utorrent.exe, and then terminates itself for the reason that µTorrent generally protects multiple instances from being run.

Not being capable to be finished via exterior submission is a difficulty unto itself. If it cannot be concluded, then nothing's going to be capable to force an exit, for the reason that it's perceptibly hung and would not respond to anything. Not that this is the explanation, and not that this is several technical reason, but presently from a design perception, command line arguments are supposed to be used for the instance regarding to be run (the instance being given the parameter originally by the user). It presently so occurs that µTorrent tries to handle this gracefully by passing arguments onto a working instance if /RECOVER is not in the argument register.

It (IMO) does not create sense to encompass a command line argument in µTorrent particularly for controlling an additional instance of µTorrent, and a different instance of µTorrent simply. Such functionality is superior suited in an exterior submission used particularly for killing procedure similar to Gur Tenuis' usefulness. (And even if implemented, which illustration of µTorrent is supposed to be given the argument. The first one and the entire of them).

Yes, that is an interesting point you have generate regarding command-line arguments. I have frequently consideration that there be supposed to be a method to distinguish connecting multiple copies of uTorrent working at the same time. For illustration, if the command-line args. containing /RECOVER had a essential argument NAME so that it was particular as /RECOVER: NAME for illustration, then we might solve numerous issues that are prevalent at present. One might then, for illustration, accomplish uTorrent.exe /RECOVER: uTor1 and uTorrent.exe /RECOVER: uTor2 and encompass two instances work that are entirely disconnect. uTorrent.exe /CLOSE: uTor1 would then close merely the 1st instance perceptibly, thus solving the problem you raised.