Thread: SeaMonkey 2.0.5 displays spaces instead of '%20'

SeaMonkey 2.0.5 displays spaces instead of '%20'

I have some serious issues with hyperlinks under Firefox as well as SeaMonkey. I find that copying the URLs and pasting it on SeaMonkey displays spaces instead of '20%'. Thus I am unable to open the exact webpage that I wanted to visit. Can you explain what is the reason behind this kind of behavior? However this is not the case when on Internet Explorer.

Re: SeaMonkey 2.0.5 displays spaces instead of '%20'

I am little confused about what you are talking about. At first you were discussing about "space" which states that you have space character problem but later on you say urlencoded space (%20). So, in short, if you have a URL (like http://www.abc.com/my page.htm) then you expect SeaMonkey to automatically escape the space and display the URL as http://www.abc.com/my%20page.htm. However SeaMonkey displays it as http://www.abc.com/my page.htm. Even I don't think that SeaMonkey would display a wrong URL but instead it will remove the urlencoding and replace it with the actual character.

There was a bug which was marked and fixed by 2.0.5 version. There may be other URL "spaces" issues too which has been corrected by the newer version, so I would suggest to upgrade to latest version. The preference layout.word_select.eat_space_to_next_word controls that behavior. Set it to false if you do not want the space to be included when you double click a word.

If you get this problem when copying the link from some site (with spaces showing) and pasting it on SeaMonkey (with spaces) and looking to use that as a "URL" that someone can click on, then that can be a fault of both either your method of pasting or the sites "recognition" of URLs.

Its certainly related to the website url handling and not the problem of your either Firefox or SeaMonkey. The site may be designed for Internet Explorer only and that may be the main reason why you are not able to see properly on any other browsers. However if you want then you can try out replacing the space with "%20" to access the web page you are looking for on Firefox or SeaMonkey.