Thread: Proxy server and ipfilter question

Proxy server and ipfilter question

I am having a proxy server and ipfilter question. This query has generated ever since I have upgraded to the Windows 7 operating system from Windows Vista. I am using uTorrent for all the downloads and uploads related to torrents. Recently, I have done a download of ipfilter.dat list from bluetrack and I need to know where to include the same, so that it can work properly.

I am also facing an issue that the connections are lost while downloading with the help of proxy server. Also, it shows my system's IP rather than the proxy server's IP. I am not able to understand why this is happening.

Another query that I am having is that is there is a possibility to stop the downloads if the connection is lost? Please reply to this query as soon as possible.
    Last edited by Ambak; 24-06-2010 at 06:44 AM.

Re: Proxy server and ipfilter question

The ipfilter.dat has to be added to the folder called %appdata%\utorrent. After that, you just need to enable in the tab called Peer. I have done the same settings while using it with Windows Vista. I do not know if it is the same with Windows 7. It can be the same, as most of the settings and features of both these operating systems are the same. Anyways, just let me know if there are issues after you try out these settings.

It has been recommended by most of the experienced uTorrent users that using a Proxy server is not that good to use with any Bittorrent clients like uTorrent. It should also avoided while doing P2P. There is a need to do some other settings. I do not have much information on what can be done with the settings in Windows 7. There are many issues with this particular operating system because of which I suggest that you should not play with the system settings.

According to me, a complement that can be used in the place of Proxy server is to manipulate the settings of the firewall that you have installed in your system. The firewall has some rules that creates the blockage. You will have to manipulate them in such a way that these blockages can be bypasses. if you are not aware on how to do the same, then take the help of some one who does have the knowledge.

I dont think that there is any advantage of using bluetrack because this application is considered as a waste in the system. So, it is always better to avoid such stuffs in the system. It does not depend upon the operating system that you are using. So, as mentioned in one of the above posts you will have to manipulate the firewall settings and avoid using this application.