Thread: What are the chances of getting caught while downloading torrents?

What are the chances of getting caught while downloading torrents?

I am a new user to the torrent downloading. I am using uTorrent for this purpose. I wanted to know that what are the chances of getting caught while downloading torrents?

When I download particular files, say movies and videos, I download the titles too. Is this practice safe? Till now, I have downloaded games like NFS Undercover, Godfather 2 and Hitman Assassin. As the companies are not making any money when I download these games from the torrents, it is sure that they will complain about this, if they find out about the same.

So, I need to know about all the secure measures of downloading such free games and movies.

Re: What are the chances of getting caught while downloading torrents?

According to me, the chances of getting caught while downloading torrents is very low. This is because there are many users who do such torrent downloads of games, movies and many other stuffs. This is actually an illegal practice. As the number of users performing such downloads are very high, it is very difficult for the particular companies to keep a track on these users. So, I guess that there is no need to worry while doing such downloads.

Even if the chances of getting caught while downloading torrents are very low, the users who use this facility of downloading the provided stuffs for free can be in a great danger. I did a research on this law, that is prevailing. It says that almost all the internet users can be caught for using this technique of BitTorrent file sharing system. Anyways, it is better if precautions are taken for this security matter.
    I'm the Proud Owner of the most dangerous weapon
    known to man kind: Human Brain

The law that is prevailing is called as TRACKING THE TRACKERS. P2P is totally wrong in the eyes of law. The complaints that are received as a warning for using this method of downloads are called as DMCA complaints. It is very bad to know that there are many users who do not use this torrent downloading method, but are still getting such DMCA complaints.

There are no chances of getting caught while downloading torrents. But, the software and game companies have adopted the technique of IP blacklisting for the non-genuine softwares and games that are detected on internet in the systems that are using the same. Infact, these companies have completely designed a software for this blacklisting method. You need to be safe from such methods.

This is a very useful information shared here guys. Well, even if I am new on the torrent downloads, I have got a lot of knowledge from this thread. I knew that the people on this forums are very helpful and that is why I seek for help here. Anyways, I hope that I get such help in the future too. You all have a nice time.......

It is ok. Your problems, queries, etc. are always welcome here. So, never hesitate to ask for any information, whether it may be very silly too. I am happy because I have seen that there are many members who are getting their queries solved here. So, the people here have actually become co-operative. Waiting for your future queries and issues.

The anti-p2p organizations are much more concerned about uploading, because 1,000 people can download from a single uploader, so it makes much more sense for them to find that 1 uploader than those 1,000 downloaders. To keep on the safe side, however, use a program like PeerGuardian, and don't seed your files for too long. Still seed your files, but don't seed them for 2 weeks. Seed them maybe for a few days giving someone else a chance to download.

HEED MY WORDS! DO NOT torrent download at a college or on it's network. They see all and you will be caught. My friend's friend is serving 20 years in prison because of downloading music on the pirate bay. He was a college student at the time. Don't be afraid by the 20 years though. He downloaded about 20,000 songs. Take my advice. Do it at home. Don't seed too long either. There's also a few downloads on the pirate bay that are tracked. They aren't many but take caution. If there's a sketchy download be careful.

I just received a communication from Comcast which stated that my IP was being subpoenaed by the company that holds a copyright for a movie which I downloaded. There are about a dozen other IPs listed for the same reason. I have taken the paperwork to an attorney, but haven't heard anything about it yet. I'm wondering if I simply allow the company to get my information and then cooperate with them if my chances for getting a very mild penalty would be better than if I fought both the subpoena and the charges. This was filed in Federal Court. Anyone have any ideas on this?